Remington 511 sear
Sounds like you are all set to go. Except for having the time to do it that is.....

Isn't it always the way?  Big Grin 

Let us know what brand of compound you end up getting from McMaster, will you? I still have a can of Kasenit but may be using it much more sparingly now.  Chin
Willie
Thanks given by:
Time is always the limiting factor these days it seems. My job has had me traveling a lot the last 2 years and it sort of puts my life on hold, particularly for shop projects. I spent so much time in St. Louis this year that the company rented an apartment there for me(!). Nice place to visit, but it's not my home...
Hoping that winds down this year.

I'll pass along the info when the case hardening stuff gets here. I'd guess it is the same stuff that Brownells sells under their own label. We should be able to look up the MSDS and see what is in it. This is metallurgy/chemistry after all, I doubt there are many secrets that can be kept.

Anyhow, I'll make sure to let you know what this turns out to be and how it works. It was a few bucks more than the Brownells stuff, but I was ordering some McMaster stuff anyhow so I got a 1 lb can. We'll see how this works out.

Hopefully I can do this without having to buy another sear...

Thanks!
-Al
Thanks given by: Highpower
So curiously enough, my order to McMaster-carr was shipped in two parts from the same warehouse. (?) go figure.

Anyhow, the half with the case hardening powder arrived here today. Turns out it is "Cherry red" brand, in the original container just like this:

LINK to Midway

So I won't get a chance to try this stuff for a bit, but I've no reason to think it won't work just fine.

It's interesting that the original Kasenit is no longer available. The chemical it was made from is used as a food additive, so it's not like the stuff is unduly nasty. You'd think someone would be packaging and selling it for this use.

Crazy world we live in.
Thanks given by: Highpower
(12-24-2014, 03:06 PM)alanganes Wrote: So curiously enough, my order to McMaster-carr was shipped in two parts from the same warehouse. (?) go figure.

Anyhow, the half with the case hardening powder arrived here today. Turns out it is "Cherry red" brand, in the original container just like this:

LINK to Midway

So I won't get a chance to try this stuff for a bit, but I've no reason to think it won't work just fine.

It's interesting that the original Kasenit is no longer available. The chemical it was made from is used as a food additive, so it's not like the stuff is unduly nasty. You'd think someone would be packaging and selling it for this use.

Crazy world we live in.

The Cherry Red works pretty good, I heated up a part and dipped it in then reheated it and a file skipped on it, that was with just one dip in the powder. You can do the double or triple dip if you feel it needs it, I just let it air cool'

I think the deal with the Kasenite powder was that it said somewhere on the lable Cyanide.

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
(12-24-2014, 04:14 PM)dallen Wrote: I think the deal with the Kasenite powder was that it said somewhere on the lable Cyanide.

DA

Well there you go then - Don't eat it Big Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(12-24-2014, 05:22 PM)DaveH Wrote: Well there you go then - Don't eat it Big Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Isn't there Cyanide in pressure treated lumber? They won't even cut it for you any more at my local Lowe's / HD.
Willie
Thanks given by:
(12-24-2014, 06:35 PM)Highpower Wrote: Isn't there Cyanide in pressure treated lumber? They won't even cut it for you any more at my local Lowe's / HD.

Not any more. They got rid of the cyanide from treated lumber a number of years ago.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(12-24-2014, 06:36 PM)EdK Wrote:
(12-24-2014, 06:35 PM)Highpower Wrote: Isn't there Cyanide in pressure treated lumber? They won't even cut it for you any more at my local Lowe's / HD.

Not any more. They got rid of the cyanide from treated lumber a number of years ago.

Ed

Not so sure Ed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromated_copper_arsenate
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(12-24-2014, 06:44 PM)DaveH Wrote:
(12-24-2014, 06:36 PM)EdK Wrote:

Ed

Not so sure Ed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromated_copper_arsenate
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

What does that link have to do with cyanide?  17428

Ed
Thanks given by:
(12-24-2014, 08:11 PM)EdK Wrote: What does that link have to do with cyanide?  17428

Ed

Ooops - absolutely nothing - sorry about that,  getting m' poisons mixed up.

Just my brain, should get better after Christmas.  Big Grin  Big Grin  Big Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: