Browning A-Bolt III
Hey Tom - I stumbled onto this post and wonder if there has been any progress on either builds?

I know you have been extremely busy but I thought I would ask just the same.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Hi Darren,

My son has made more progress than I have. He got the scope mounted and sighted in and brought a target home the other day with five holes inside a 3/4" circle at 100 yards. I accused him of cheating, but he swears it was legit. Big Grin He even managed to hand load a few boxes of ammo that performed admirably. We had hoped to get up north a scope out a long range area to shoot, but haven't been able to coordinate our schedules yet. I did scout around on the bike last time I was up and found a few possibilities out to about 500 yards.

I bought a Vortex 6-24X - 50mm scope, but don't have it mounted yet. The rifle is so new that solid 30mm scope rings are not available for it, so I'm going to make a set up myself. They are designed and detailed and in the queue to be machined. It's been a while since I did any anodizing, so that should be fun.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
So I finally got busy and made some chips on the scope ring project. I got them roughed out to the point where I could mount the scope on the rifle and make sure that they were high enough for the 50mm objective to clear the barrel and that they actually fit the rifle. The CAD model and detail drawings were made on Onshape, and it worked pretty well. It doesn't have as many features as SolidWorks yet, but it's a good solid program. I even took some video, so I'll probably throw something together to post on YouTube if it turns out ok. The next task is to mill the contours so they actually look like scope mounts and then anodize them black.

Tom

[Image: uc?export=download&id=0ByQravynKJtzNTZhMTMyNWlfUzA]

[Image: Scope_Mount_-_Base_Ring_Drawing_2_2_.jpg]

[Image: Scope_Mount_-_Clamp_Ring_Drawing_1_3_.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Very impressive Tom. Those are going to look great when they are finished. Graemlin
Willie
Thanks given by:
Thanks Willie, I'm excited to see the finished product myself. Hopefully they will be sturdy enough to keep the scope in position under heavy recoil. It's a fairly light rifle, so they will have their work cut out for them.

Tom
Thanks given by:
I finished up the scope rings last night and was pretty pleased with the results. I also shot video of the entire project, and posted it on YouTube for something a little different. There is still a bit of polishing to be done before anodizing, but at least they are functional.

Making Scope Rings for the Browning A Bolt 3

Tom

[Image: DSC04023.jpg]

[Image: DSC04027.jpg]

[Image: DSC04028.jpg]
Thanks given by: jpfabricator
[Image: 6b2bdbc3e9e0b1585ac796e9efbbc8ec.jpg]
Willie
Thanks given by:
very nice Tom
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys, I can't wait to try it out.

Tom
Thanks given by:
Real nice job! Looks better that store bought ones!
Thanks given by: