Project Clamp Knurling Tool
I was making a large steady rest and did the same thing where the fingers slide. It's a weldment and can be fixed, but I was so disgusted I put the thing away and never returned to it. That was about 20 years ago, the steady is still in the lathe cabinet as a reminder. Smile
Thanks given by:
I'll definitely get back to this project once the mill power feed is done. After all, I have to catch up with Tom's videos. Smile

Ed
Thanks given by:
Just to continue on with this project, I've drawn up Tom's plans in FreeCAD. It's one of the first projects I'll tackle once the new mill is up and running.

Ed

Thanks given by:
Ok, what am I missing? Everyone says the knurling tool that comes with the QCTPs are junk, but I've gotten some great looking knurls out of the one that came with mine. Did I get lucky or something?
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
(04-05-2016, 09:50 PM)Vinny Wrote: Ok, what am I missing?  Everyone says the knurling tool that comes with the QCTPs are junk, but I've gotten some great looking knurls out of the one that came with mine.  Did I get lucky or something?

Either you got lucky or I didn't.  17428
I'm going with this instead of depending on luck.

http://tomstechniques.com/clamp-knurling-tool/

Ed
Thanks given by:
I get crappy knurls all the time. I've decided that it's because I don't take the time to figure out the correct starting diameter of the knurl so it's a multiple of the pitch of the knurl.
Thanks given by:
(04-05-2016, 10:19 PM)Roadracer_Al Wrote: I get crappy knurls all the time. I've decided that it's because I don't take the time to figure out the correct starting diameter of the knurl so it's a multiple of the pitch of the knurl.

and there in lies the secret to good knurls
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
And a good set of knurl wheels. I have a Chinese one that never worked great, then was given an old Atlas one that wasn't any beter, figured it was the nature of bump knurlers. Needed to knurl something a little while ago, had a new set of wheels from god knows where. Figured what the heck, put them in and it was night and day. Perfect diamond pattern for the first time ever.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Getting back to this project, I got the blanks all squared up and dimensioned for the knurl holders.

Ed

Thanks given by:
Looks good Ed, Thumbsup 

Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
 a child of the 60's and 50's and a bit of the 40's Smile
Thanks given by: EdK