Work Bench Tool Organizing
HI my work bench and tooling

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Nice setups Lads , here is a shot of my workbench .

[Image: P1050889_zps162b56ef.jpg]

It has evolved a bit more since the time of taking that photo ,bench sockets,air line fitted etc ,,,,,,,,,,,,and it has more crap on it LOL

Rob
Thanks given by:
its cleaner than my bench
Thanks given by:
Nice, Rob!

Much cleaner than mine!!

re. topic -- I use pegboard, too. But I have to agree with the early poster, that the hooks I have are a nuisance, and do tend to fall out sometimes. But I think I know why -- no one here has mentioned the cause of this problem, yet, I think.

It is because the hooks themselves have been downsized in wire diameter. Back in the fifties, when I first saw my stepfather hang pegboard and and put tools on it, the hook gauge was a close fit in the holes. And regular U shaped hooks had two pegs that engaged -- one bent at the end, and one butt welded in the middle. You actually had to give a little push to seat them in the pegboard. The hooks tended to stay put because of that.

Nowadays the wire is much thinner. But the pegboard holes have stayed the same size. Now plain hooks have only one peg. Manufacturers try to make up for it by adding little plastic anchors to a package of hooks. But even then the hooks still wobble in place because they are loose. They won't hold heavy tools as well as the old ones did.

So there's nothing wrong with pegboard. It's just that the hooks don't fit it well any more.

I saw some used old style hooks at an engine show this spring, but forgot to buy a couple pounds of them. Really wish I had remembered!
Thanks given by:
(08-25-2014, 07:28 PM)vtsteam Wrote: Nice, Rob!

Much cleaner than mine!!

re. topic -- I use pegboard, too. But I have to agree with the early poster, that the hooks I have are a nuisance, and do tend to fall out sometimes. But I think I know why -- no one here has mentioned the cause of this problem, yet, I think.

It is because the hooks themselves have been downsized in wire diameter. Back in the fifties, when I first saw my stepfather hang pegboard and and put tools on it, the hook gauge was a close fit in the holes. And regular U shaped hooks had two pegs that engaged -- one bent at the end, and one butt welded in the middle. You actually had to give a little push to seat them in the pegboard. The hooks tended to stay put because of that.

Nowadays the wire is much thinner. But the pegboard holes have stayed the same size. Now plain hooks have only one peg. Manufacturers try to make up for it by adding little plastic anchors to a package of hooks. But even then the hooks still wobble in place because they are loose. They won't hold heavy tools as well as the old ones did.

So there's nothing wrong with pegboard. It's just that the hooks don't fit it well any more.

I saw some used old style hooks at an engine show this spring, but forgot to buy a couple pounds of them. Really wish I had remembered!

A dab of hot melt glue helps hold in pegboard hooks as well.

Yup, I hold onto any of the big hooks I can find.

Walter
starlight_tools, proud to be a member of Metalworking Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
The hot glue dab is a good idea! I'll try it with the skimpy hooks I have. Big Grin

I looked around online and just realized that the older style are still available as "heavy duty" "fits 1/4"board only" hooks. And the skimpy wire ones are billed as "universal" and "fits 1/8" and 1/4".
Thanks given by:
Hi Steve

No need for glue with the BOTT system , the hooks ,shelves and racks all have locks ,

[Image: P1080211_zpscf87c7b0.jpg]
[Image: P1080212_zps2d9d6899.jpg]
[Image: P1080217_zpsbcd6e66b.jpg]

Is cracking gear Cool

Rob
Thanks given by:
I'll be using the French cleat system in my shop soon.

http://youtu.be/53Upi0GUwVw
Arbalest, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
well thats rather posh gust bent nails do me Rotfl
Thanks given by:
I'm with you Bob but I start with straight nails and by the time they're driven far enough in they're usually bent. Thumbsup Rotfl Rotfl

Smiley-eatdrink004
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by: