Help Edgewick Light Type Lathe help
Hi,

I am new to the forum so hi to everyone.  I work in an engineering workshop where we have the usual array of lathes and milling machines.  I build custom motorbikes as a hobby and a milling machine and lathe have always been necessary to do that.  I recently sold my small lathe and bought this Edgwick.  It's a lovely lathe and works well.  Still finding out what all the levers do but they all seem to make sense apart from the feed ratio.

I cannot get the feed to run slow enough for turning, it seems to be always trying to thread cut as it moves too fast in relation to the spindle speed.  I was hoping that someone here would know something about this lathe and be able to offer me some help.

Cheers, Dan.

[Image: 001_zps55037752.jpg]

[Image: 006_zps3c131574.jpg]

[Image: 007_zpsb9f92f8b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Have you "found" the sliding gear that the chart refers to ?

Mike
tekfab, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2013.
Thanks given by:
Hi Mike, thanks for the reply. I do not know what the sliding gears are I am afraid. Would any more pictures help?

Cheers, Dan.
Thanks given by:
Hi Dan, i would guess that they're behind that cover on the left hand side, perhaps you could remove it and post a couple of pictures of what's in there ?  I'm guessing that if you haven't found a lever that operates them then there might be a mechanism in there to engage/disengage them but let's have a look anyway, nothing ventured . . . . Having just had another look at the first picture is that a lever where the two exposed gears are ?
Mike
tekfab, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2013.
Thanks given by:
What about the lever just above and behind the little tray on the QC box?
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Looks a lot like my 11" South Bend. On it, (can't tell from your pics - maybe..) there's a knob sticking out of the cover on the left end, it slides in and out to select between two ranges (no need to remove the cover). Above the gearbox tray is a lever that selects between three ranges. This lever can be shifted with the machine running, it's a handy way of changing feed rates on the fly.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Hi, thanks for the replies. If I changed the lever to the right, as I understand the chart, this is the lowest feed rate, it still passes over the material faster than it need to to take a uniformed cut. The cut it takes looks more like a screw thread.

The feed definitely needs to be slower. Would it have anything to do with the knobs and levers on the carriage?

Cheers, Dan.
Thanks given by:
Did you get any gears with the lathe other than what's on the lathe now?

Ed
Thanks given by:
The apron (carriage) will select between longitudinal feeding, cross feeding, or threading.
Thanks given by:
I see something sticking out on the left end of your lathe in one of the photos there that might be of interest. It is barely visible, but it is there, in the very upper left corner of the second photo. With the lathe shut off, grab it, and try to pull it out, or to the left as you stand facing the lathe as in the photo. If it will not move out, try pushing it in, anything, just get it to move if you can so that you can see which position it is in. You might even need to turn the chuck a little bit by hand while trying to move the selector shaft in or out. Some Clausing lathes had a similar shaft sticking out the side of the machine, used to change ranges for the QC gearbox.

The friction clutch would be the star shaped knob on your carriage. Try using that instead of the half nut.

Just something that might be helpful.
[Image: coffee2.gif]

Terry
Making stuff with old machines.
Thanks given by: