Help Edgewick Light Type Lathe help
I echo that!

Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
The lever that moves the large gear towards the small gear in video one, is the back gear lever. With this engaged, you have the lower half of the speed ranges available. Somewhere on the bull gear (the large gear behind your chuck) there should be a pin, that disengages the bull gear from the cone pulley.

In this configuration, the drive cone on the spindle will turn but the chuck ill not. The small gear on the back of the drive cone drives the back gear, which in turn drives the bull gear and the chuck.

I just tried to find a good video on YouTube but couldn't find anything. HERE is a link to a thread I put together on cleaning up my lathe. On the first page you will see the spindle on mine stripped down to just the bull gear, the pin that locks it to the cone pulley and the back gears etc. Whilst you wont see them in action, putting a name to the parts should help.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: Dan Boy
Dan, did you ever figure out if the sliding gear is the one sticking out the left side of the machine?  The one I am talking about is just visible in the photo below, and is circled in red. Try pulling out on it.

[Image: coffee2.gif]

Terry
Making stuff with old machines.
Thanks given by: Dan Boy
Terry you are totally right, that is the handle to engage or disengage the sliding gears.  I now have feed speeds available to me.

THank you so much for all the input guys, its been great to talk to you all.

Cheers, Dan.

[Image: 009_zpsfa883086.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Very good, Dan!! You have learned much about your new lathe, and I believe you will enjoy it for a long time to come. Glad we were able to help!
[Image: coffee2.gif]

Terry
Making stuff with old machines.
Thanks given by:
Well to sound like some boring old safety fart, learn where and what all the controls do before you attempt to use it in anger. It could save you a lot of grief in the long run !

Mike
tekfab, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2013.
Thanks given by:
Sorted!!, Tony @lathes would probably like some photos of your lathe as he has nowt that early on his Edgwick pages, Glad you got it going, It looks like a nice machine!
Phil
Man who say it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?
Thanks given by: