Saw Mill
Should yield a pretty good ratio on logs/gallon, but haven't used it enough to tell. Its only a 14 hp diesel so would expect to run all day on a couple of gallons. Diesel here with the road tax in is about $1.27 per litre, cheaper if you get coloured fuel for off road use.
As per trees per person we have a good ratio for now. This is two loads of hardwood logs for fire wood, at $850 per load. One load is mine the other I cut up for my aunt and girlfriend. I heat totally with wood in a boiler, heat the house and shop with a little less than a load a year so about $700 to heat for the year.

[Image: IMGP0383.jpg]
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Whoa, now that is a woodpile, I gotta say, I like the weather in East England even more now!

We are heating on oil, which isn't the cheapest way but it is what came with the house so it's what we use, we also have a fireplace more for atmosphere and to give Santa easy access, I think, but it does work and we do use it we used £650 worth of oil and £140 worth of cut split and seasoned firewood (My back won't let me chop wood these days) and that got us through the whole year.

And Mrs Rick does like to keep the house toasty warm so I think we are doing OK. I just can't imagine having to cut all those firewood logs into chunks.

And to do it over again for the girlfriend, sorry, I'd go looking for a girl that lives in a gas heated apartment Rotfl

or probably just stay with my wife Blush

Best regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
(06-11-2012, 03:36 PM)DaveH Wrote: You forgot the snowRotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

The snow, the snow! How could I forget the snow?Slaphead
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Greg, How many cords (real,128 cu. ft. cords) do you figure is in a load?
I still have quite a few trees to cut but I'm thinking of getting a load in that I could junk up on the buzz saw and split on my splitter
a lot faster than dealing with dragging the logs I cut out of the woods, dealing with all the small branches and leaves and cutting the trunks with the chainsaw (they're too big for the buzzsaw).
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Steve
I like talking face cords, bigger numbers sound better. It measured out to 25 face cords, or just over 8 bush cords, per load. Even if I had the trees I'd buy the logs, its more than enough work cutting it up let alone getting it out of the bush, not to mention the dangers Eh. As the disclaimer goes milage may vary, I think the guy that hauls for me packs the load pretty tight for me.
Greg
Thanks given by:
You forgot the snow
and they do say big foot livs out ther to
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Digging up an old project here.
The sawmill was pretty much a design on the fly project. 
Was sawing some timbers last week and noticed the blade wanting to dive as I went down the log. Checked the guides first then discovered the carriage under the saw head was bent. The headworks are braced to the back so having the carriage bend effectively tilted the blade into the log.
[Image: WuPFwOuD7SWSbxRigQ-0fLxZ82nDQeJrJZugrt4x...77-h358-no]
You can see the back bent up about an inch.
The Moment of Inertia for that channel on it flat is only 0.298 in4. Not nearly stiff enough to support the head which Im guessing is about 1000 pounds, judging by the way the tractor struggles to lift it.
I have some 5x5x3/8 angle, the moment of inertia for it is 8.67 in4 or 30 times stiffer.
Started drilling out the corners for the pockets the wheels drop into and bolt holes.
[Image: 5tj77_CN6s6UR8Z4JV3xzmLHF4HDG7YbwfxoV_0U...7-h1250-no]

Not sure what this was in its former life, have welded plugs into the slots.
Now to try and cut the existing carriage off and keep everything straight and plumb.

Greg
Greg
Thanks given by:
So version 1.10 will be just like the six million dollar man. Better, stronger and faster... Thumbsup
Willie
Thanks given by:
Not sure about faster but a little heavier.
Got back to this project. A 7 inch cutoff disk made a clean separation of the old base. I blocked one end of the new members and use a machinist jack and precision level to get them flat. The carriage was then positioned and angle plates clamped to the uprights so I could use the level to get them plumb. Used turnbuckles and chains for the final adjustments.
Back in one piece.

[Image: 4zaV3kTcgxbtzwfqlDO0xJpAIE9ZNLqtYfCksmJh...9-h1267-no]
Greg
Thanks given by:
That looks stout.  Thumbsup

Good job and would really enjoy seeing it in action when all the parts are back together.
JScott, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Mar 2014.
Thanks given by: