Remington model 6
My next build is going to be a lever gun.
I just like the looks of them.
I only started on this one because I found some scrap metal that I needed to cut up anyway.

What model is that?
Thanks given by:
(02-03-2015, 06:50 PM)fix Wrote: My next build is going to be a lever gun.
I just like the looks of them.
I only started on this one because I found some scrap metal that I needed to cut up anyway.

What model is that?

1885 Highwall in 45/70
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Since this is a thread now, I should probably fill it in a bit.
There is already a build thread on another forum, but here's some pictures of it for here.

This whole thing started because I found some scrap metal and wanted to practice on my mill by cutting the rust off of it. I then felt the need to make something with my new shiny metal.

It took two tries to get it where it is now. In the first attempt I had the block and hammer pins too close together (I'm building this from a picture, not plans). The block would have swung down and into the hammer pin. I had to start again, with new block, hammer, and side plates. It's a good thing the metal was free.

For the second attempt I realized that the parts pivot around the pins (duh). This realization allowed me to modify a cheapo compass and scrib the arcs for all of the mating parts directly onto the parts. When I filed them out the second time they fit like magic.
That one lesson was probably worth the extra effort.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Is that from the casting you mentioned on the guild? Or is it from scratch?

I've been looking at lever guns for a muzzleloader with 209 primer build. I'll have to take a other look at the highwall.
Thanks given by:
I just looked at the highwall pictures I have. It's a cool action.
I think it might be a little over complicated for my next build though.

I do like the looks of it though.
Although it did take me a minute to sort out the workings from the pictures I have.
Thanks given by:
yes it was built off of a casting for the action, most of the internals were cut on a flow jet but still left a ton of work. Barrel is from GM, it started out at 1.375 diameter, which was profiled down to a Winchester #6 profile. the rifle tips the scales at roughly 15 pounds, but handles nice. Pixman helped me out with a couple of the Tang Sight parts.

DA

Thanks given by:
Still working on it.

Got it drilled and threaded for the stock bolt, and got the stock bolted on today.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
bench looks like mine, nice hunk if wood you got for a stock.

one question, how thick did you make the frame and internal parts?

DA

Thanks given by:
The frame started as half inch thick stock, but it was rusty and I milled the rust pits off of it. So, less than 1/2" now. The side plates are 1/8" plate.
It's all riveted together.
I think that a thicker reciever would probably look better, but mine is only a shade thinner than factory.
They just weren't really beefy guns to begin with.

The stock is black walnut straight out of my woods (well, after drying for a few years).
Thanks given by:
thanks, I'm wavering between 3/8 or 1/2 inch to build one out of. Seeing as how I'm thinking 22 Mag, 3/8 inch should be fine, plus a lot less metal to have to take the files too.

We have a lot of Walnut around here, only problem with the one I have in my backyard is that it needs about another 20 years to get some size on it.

DA

Thanks given by: