Remington model 6
how big of a piece of 4130 or similar are you talking about.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
It's for a vault lock rifle. The FM no2 from the Haas book.

I think he calls for 4140 because it is already heat treated.
The reciever needs to start at 1.5 x 2.5 x 4. I already have a chunk of round for the breech block.

I don't need it right away or anything though. At the rate I work, I should get to it in a few years.
I figured if I was to order metal, I would go ahead and buy stock to build the Chicopee too.
I still need barrels though. I usually just start picking up parts a little at a time and then kind of set them in piles that may or may not ever move. I haven't even decided on caliber yet. It's just a pipe dream right now.

I really like these little .22lr builds because they can be built from mild steel, and .22lr barrels are the easiest to find (at least for me).

The next build is already in the works (from my own design), so anything after that will be distant future stuff.
Thanks given by:
If you can find an old fork lift tang its wonderful stuff. I've been told the good ones are made of 4140. 
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
For the first item ever made on my new cheapo rotary table, I made that barrel ring.

I only milled the outside radius (which is now filed and sanded to be rounder).
I bored it and turned the leg on my lathe. It's just a hair off center,  but since I eyeballed the whole thing I'm pretty happy.

hopefully I'll be able to finish the forearm up, and think about sights for it.
then chamber, install firing pin, case harden, and rust blue.

It's funny how it looks like a rifle, but there is still so much to do.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
(02-18-2015, 04:31 PM)fix Wrote: It's just a hair off center,  but since I eyeballed the whole thing I'm pretty happy.

fix, that "hair off center" thing will disappear as soon as the forearm is mounted. Good job. Thumbsup

Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Forearm is mounted.

Thanks given by:
I've been whittling parts out for one of these, going to have to find some wood to hang on it before too long

DA

Thanks given by:
I got some more of that walnut.
I actually have a blank ready cut, but there was a knot in it near the bottom on one side.
I think there might still be a piece in the board without knots, but i'll have to cut it and run it across my jointer to see.

I use a chainsaw mill, and before I figured out how to use it, I made some really rough boards. they'really so rough I can't even see grain or knots.

I'll try to get a picture of the knoted piece. It would still make a good stock, if you don't mind the knot.
It Will be a couple of days before I can drag out the bigger chunk though.
If you can use that knotted up but, you're welcome to it.
Thanks given by:
The knot is worse than I remembered.

The wood is really only big enough for one of these small rifles.
I made a mistake when I sawed it out and didn't cut it thick enough.

I'll drag the board down and see if there is another stock in it somewhere.

Thanks given by:
I don't see why it wouldn't work for a stock on a 22 mag, wonder if a guy could stick it in something and seal it up with some epoxy smeared on that spot then pull a vacuum on it to suck the glue down into the bad spot.

DA

Thanks given by: