Help Fixing an old mini milling machine
Hello everyone,

I'm extremely new to milling/milling machines and just inherited this microlux mini milling machine but i think the chuck is missing or something. I've tried reading up on exactly how to replace it but mine doesnt seem to look like any others i've seen.

I've also made some attempts at removing the chuck and got out what i think is the spindle(?)

I've attached some pictures would love any guidance as to whats missing and what i can use to fix it. The motor and everything seems to work fine so it would be pretty exciting to get this thing working and start learning the ropes!

[Image: IMG_20150206_170423.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20150206_170452.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20150206_170436.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20150206_163811.jpg]

Thanks!
- Ken
Thanks given by:
that long rod threaded on both ends should be the drawbar, see if it will screw into the arbor that the chuck is on by dropping it down the spindle from the top, if it screws in take brass hammer and hit the end of it while holding onto the chuck or put a wadded up rag under it to catch the chuck on.

do a google search for Microlux and see if you can find the manual
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Looks like an ER style collet Chuck. If so there should be a cap that holds the collet and screws onto the bottom.

[Image: Taig_lathe_ER-16_adapter.jpg]
Shawn, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Nov 2013.
Thanks given by:
Hi Shawn, (sorry should be Ken)
It says it has a Morse Taper #3 spindle, that means the spindle is "hollow" with a Morse taper #3 hole at the bottom.
So the "thing" at the bottom (where the chuck etc. goes) looks like it is stuck in.

Try to do what 'dallen' has suggested.
Don't damage anything especially the threads, it may need a good hard hit. Don't however 'belt' the crap out of it you will damage the bearings.

If it doesn't want to come out by some sharp hits we can suggest another way Smile 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Shawn, (sorry should be Ken)
Your 3rd pic,  inside that lock nut that is the spindle (with the hole)
Turn it by hand the 'thing' at the bottom see if it turns Smile 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Dave, I think your replies should have  been addressed to Ken (kkoch986) but you're right about the MT#3 taper.

Ken if you thread the drawbar (rod threaded at both ends) down in the spindle (actually the MT#3 arbour) is there enough thread up top to thread the nut down and still leave a bit of room between the nut and the spindle?
If so, a sharp whack with a hammer should pop the MT#3 arbour out then unthread the drawbar and your good to go.

If the drawbar is not long enough (as above) you may need to find a longer threaded rod (same thread of course) and use it to eject the MT#3 arbour.

Get back to us once you've succeeded with that step.

Steve
Smiley-eatdrink004
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Slaphead You're right there Steve, Thanks
and apologies to Shawn and Ken.
I think I must be going blind 17428 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Hey everyone, thanks for the quick feedback! Sure enough when i threaded the drawbar it only took 2 taps with the hammer to drop the whole thing out!

Heres what I'm left with now:

[Image: IMG_20150207_101624.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20150207_101639.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Also, i think i found the manual here, but now that i see what came out i think its clearer what i need. Its starting to look like things ive seen in pictures and videos from others.

http://www.micromark.com/html_pages/inst...e-inst.pdf

Thanks!
- Ken
Thanks given by:
Good news Ken, now feel free to ask any questions about MT#3 tooling and we'll try to point you in the right direction (or maybe the wrong direction that we may have chosen). Thumbsup

Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by: