Help Fixing an old mini milling machine
Thanks so much! I'm totally new to milling so ill be watching a lot of youtube videos and reading up on a lot of stuff. In the meantime i could buy something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-32-5-8-3JT-PRO...1520011879 and it would basically attach the same way i got the old one off correct?

From what i could tell that would only really allow me to do drilling type operations but it would be a good start :-)

Any recommendations for good beginner projects?

- Ken
Thanks given by:
Hi Ken (got it right this time Smile )
Glad it came out Smile
Looks overall a nice mill, so long as you use it within it's capabilities it will give you good service.
It may need a bit of a clean up - the spindle bearing may need to be replaced, there again they may be fine.
Just because it was made in China does not mean it was designed in China.
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Thanks given by:
The usual beginner project is making t-nuts for the mill. Make a few (six or so) and then a couple that are cut at a 45 so they can be dropped in from above. Make them fit the slots well, just a few thous clearance, quite a bit more at the top and bottom if you use cutting oil in a flood (for drainage). It's not a bad idea to tap the holes short; the notion is to keep you from running a bolt to the bottom of the slot and jacking a chunk of the table out.

Another popular project is making a flycutter. It's a finishing tool that you can sharpen on a regular bench grinder. Not too big- it will chatter. You might look at your lowest speed to guesstimate the largest size. 400/lo-rpm=max dia for steel.
Thanks given by:
I just noticed the nameplate- Spindle Speed: 0-1100. Nevermind the math- it says 1-1/8 face mill. It should twist a 1" flycutter just fine.
Thanks given by:
Thanks so much everyone, I'll report back after I get through some stuff!
Thanks given by:
Hey everyone,

I hate to say it but after a decent amount of time trying to find a replacement for that part, i still have failed.

I managed to find JT3/MT3 arbor and chuck, the first one i ordered didn't have an opening on one side for a draw bar. The second had an opening for a drawbar but it was not the same thread size and the draw bar would not fit into it.

I went down to a local tool supply and they seemed pretty surprised by it told me they didn't think they had what i needed.

I noticed in here there was a diagram of it (http://www.micromark.com/html_pages/inst...e-inst.pdf) since i believe that to be the manual i was hoping it would be the right one.

The picture is pretty poor quality but I was wondering if anyone who might know what to look for could point me towards the correct part?

thanks! if milling is half as hard as finding this part, getting a little worried Blush
Thanks given by:
Ken,
What size thread is your draw bar?
It is always possible to make another draw bar with a thread that suits the tooling.
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Thanks given by:
not sure exactly how to measure it, ill try to figure it out asap and write back thanks!
Thanks given by:
take the one with the threaded end for a draw bar to the hardware store and find a bolt that will thread into it, that's long enough to work as a drawbar.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
(04-14-2015, 12:49 PM)kkoch986 Wrote: not sure exactly how to measure it, ill try to figure it out asap and write back thanks!

Probably a metric thread. Measure the diameter of the drawbar.
Steve S
Check out MyShopNotes on youtube.
Thanks given by: