lathe steady rest question.
I got a pretty good deal on a steady rest, so I figured I could adapt it to my Atlas lathe.

The ways on my lathe are about an inch and quarter wider than the lug/fitment part on the base of the steady. I figured I could drill and tap two holes on each side of the existing  lug, and just add 1/8 inch thick steel to fill up the space.

As I was doing the measuring for this modification, I got to wondering if I needed to do this at all.
The rest sits on my ways, and I can bolt it down as it sits. I need to trim a little off so that my saddle will clear the base, but it looks like it would work as is.

Is there a reason that it has to fit tightly between the ways?
Will it move or anything from the pressure of turning? I can see the tool forcing it back on the ways,  but couldn't I just glue some grippy stuff under the rest to protect my ways and add traction?

So what would be the trouble with just not filling up the extra space between the lug and my ways?
Thanks given by:
Could you post a picture showing it sitting on the ways?

Ed
Thanks given by:
I tried to get one of the adapter too.
The adapter is exactly the same as the bottom of the rest. It just raises the whole thing a half inch. I don't need the adapter though.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
I would definitely add metal to make the steady rest fit snug between the ways as there's apparently no inverted Vee way to keep it square and centered as you slide it to different positions. This can be important when you have to move the rest and use it on different positions on the same diameter.

When you add the strips of metal make it so they're a little oversize, then finish mill or grind to a close fit.
Thanks given by:
I agree. It needs to be square with the ways and centered. I would mill the part off that's too narrow and replace it with a screwed on steel plate the appropriate width to fit between the ways.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
I hadn't thought about just milling it flat and adding a whole new lug. That might be the most graceful way to solve the problem.
I'll look, but I think the base is thick enough to add screws, and I need to narrow the whole thing by about 1/8 inch to clear my saddle arms anyway. I might be able to mount the thing upside down on my mill and do all the work with one setup.
Thanks given by:
I would add to "spacers" as you mentioned. They would only require one screw each as there would be no chance of them twisting.
Not advice, just my opinion.

Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
is the center of the steady rest on the same line as the center of the spindle?

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
It does appear to be centered, but I could easily center it while making the adjustments.

I was hoping to get to it today, but just didn't feel like it this morning. I gots other toys to play with.
Thanks given by: