do I "need" a fly cutter, if I have a face mill
Sounds like I'll hold off on the fly cutter for now. I'll pick one up when I happen across a deal, I like the way they work, and they do fill a need in machining.
Thanks given by:
Pick one up? Why not make one?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(02-17-2015, 07:25 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Pick one up?  Why not make one?

Oh no not another project! Jawdrop First let's see how my knurling tool comes out, which is still in the planning stage.
Thanks given by:
(02-17-2015, 07:10 AM)mike-sid Wrote: Sounds like I'll hold off on the fly cutter for now.  I'll pick one up when I happen across a deal, I like the way they work, and they do fill a need in machining.

I have new one available for cheap if your mill uses R8 tooling. I went looking for it to use it for the first time about a month ago and couldn't find it so I assumed I hadn't actually purchased one. I ordered one and when I got it I went to put it away and found the other one. At $25 it wasn't worth my time returning it. Let me know if you are interested in it.

Ed
Thanks given by: mike-sid
(02-17-2015, 08:03 AM)EdK Wrote: ...I went looking for it to use it for the first time about a month ago and couldn't find it so I assumed I hadn't actually purchased one. I ordered one and when I got it I went to put it away and found the other one...

If only someone could come up with a database in which you could keep a catalogue of all your tools, things like this could be avoided...
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(02-17-2015, 08:07 AM)Mayhem Wrote:
(02-17-2015, 08:03 AM)EdK Wrote: ...I went looking for it to use it for the first time about a month ago and couldn't find it so I assumed I hadn't actually purchased one. I ordered one and when I got it I went to put it away and found the other one...

If only someone could come up with a database in which you could keep a catalogue of all your tools, things like this could be avoided...

Slaphead Bash

Busted!

Ed
Thanks given by:
(02-17-2015, 03:30 AM)Micktoon Wrote: Nice cutters Pixman, I have noticed the effect you mention with the edges compared to the centre , can the effect be lessened with spindle speed or feed rates ? Does anyone know.
  Cheers Mick

Thank Mick.

There's no overcoming that effect because it's an inherent result of the "chip thinning" effect of entry angle of the cut. It's "straight on" at the centre, but a "glancing blow" at the edges.

This is the same reason you get a really nice finish on the long edge cutting with an end mill when you take a light "spring pass" back across a surface in the "climb milling" mode.
Thanks given by:
Don't tell Mayhem, but I'm buying a spare one off Ed. I've got plenty of projects lined up at the moment. I do not have a real need for one, but I just want to try it out and get a feel for using one for when I do need to use it.
Thanks given by: