any advice for a 3 axis DRO for my mill?
Because of the weight of the knee there is no backlash Willie, so you never have to worry about it. If I want to move the knee I can always go off the dial without considering backlash. Milling a pocket with the x and y is where the dro shines for me.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Ahhh, Ok I'm with you now. I read something into that that wasn't there. Somehow I was thinking you guys were talking about a stick-slip situation on the knee travel causing problems with DRO readings. Slaphead 

Told you it was a stupid question.   Bash
Dang oldtimers disease again....

Thanks Greg.
Willie
Thanks given by:
Mike,

It occurs to me that only the head unit of a DRO fitted to your current machine would be transferable to a new mill because of the relatively short travels on the Hardinge.

Keep that in mind and either sell the mill with the DRO complete or strip everything off and sell the scales separately.
Thanks given by:
I ordered a 3 axis DRO from http://www.dropros.com/. Thanks for the recommendation Ed Thumbsup I called them to discuss the scales I'd need and they were very helpful! I can't wait to get it and do the install. I might have spent as much as I did on my entire mill, but I think it will more than quadruple the quality of parts I'll be able to make. I'm really excited to step up my quality of work.
Thanks given by: