X-Axis power feed
Hello folks.

Since I have to get into the X-Axis lead screw assembly on my Acer b'port clone, I'd like to entertain the thought of installing a power feed on that axis. I had one on my mill/drill, and appreciated it.

I don't really know what options are available in power feeds, they're not a real sexy topic of discussion, nobody seems to mention them.

Does anyone have any experience with the modest priced units? Any brands that should be avoided?

I looked at Enco, and they carry 2 brands: the ENCO house brand, and the SERVO made-in-USA brand. About $400 and $800, respectively, both with 150 ft-lbs of torque.

Grizzly has one on sale for $245 --- is this too good to be true? Listing states 135 ft-lbs torque. Is this going to be an issue?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the subject.
Thanks given by:
I got mine from Enco years ago. It's the 135lb version but my mill is small so it should be fine. I think you should have an easier time with installing a power feed. Depending on how alike it is to a Bridgeport, it may just be a bolt on project. My power feed project is on hold until I make new X and Y lead screw nuts for the mill.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Reading more about power feeds, looks like I have to yank the handles off the lead screw and measure the shaft. 5/8" seems to be the common denominator.

I read your lead screw thread, that sounds like an interesting project! On my old ROC/POS lathe/mill-drill, I had put some thought into how to make backlash compensators for the screws. I'll post a link in your thread to an easy-to-implement design.

The ACER is a full-size mill, which is why I was asking about the power would be adequate.

I guess a question is -- what does inadequate power do? I imagine it would stall the feed on a deep cut?
Thanks given by:
How much HP on your spindle motor? If 2hp or more I'd go with the stronger one. An Acer is a pretty darn good machine, treat her to the good stuff if at all possible. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Yes, it's a 3hp, 3-phase motor.

Thanks for the input.

Wish I'd thought of this during the Enco 25% off sale!
Thanks given by: