Reading Digital caliper with Arduino
(03-12-2015, 05:20 PM)arvidj Wrote: Nice scopes. All I have is a Rigol DS2072 2 channel 160MHz.

Nothing wrong with that scope Arvid. I had never heard of Rigol until the company I work for hired a test engineer and I happened to take a peak at his scope and saw it was a Rigol. I checked out their web site and they have some real decent scopes for the money.

I got my Tektronix 2467B for $0 from a guy at work who bought a few of them from the company when they were selling old computers and test equipment to employees. I mentioned to him that I had wanted to get one of the scopes so he gave one to me. He only paid about $25 for the scopes. It didn't come with scope probes so I brought a couple home from work today that weren't being used so I could use the scope while I wait for the probes I ordered from Amazon to arrive.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I just bit the bullet and ordered the cable from LMS. I have more than one of these calipers around here and none are the same brand but all from LMS plus I may pick up the latest one they're hawking. This'll make it easier to switch between them.

On the scopes, I paid a bit over 300 for each of my two 2432s and 100 for the 100MHz analog TEK scope. Can't remember the model on that one but it looks alot like the 2432.
Thanks given by:
(03-12-2015, 05:20 PM)arvidj Wrote: Nice scopes. All I have is a Rigol DS2072 2 channel 160MHz.

I'm a member of the Shumatech DRO Yahoo group and the subject of connectors comes up often. For a number of years the LMS connectors have been the only ones that anyone has been able to find and yes, the price is often a showstopper.

It seems like the most common solution is to dedicate the scale to the DRO by soldering to the scale connector, powering the scale from the DRO, replacing the battery with a pair of capacitors in the battery compartment and then putting what ever kind of connector on the DRO end of the cable that you happen to have in the junk box.

My X2 mill, purchased 2nd hand, came with scales already installed. The original owner had built a Shumatec DRO and kept the DRO, but left the scales installed. that led me to get a Shumatec DRO-550 kit and build it. Wish now I'd bought 2! I used S video cables from other equipment to connect the scales to the DRO-550. The scale heads had cables soldered to the runs in the data port. I cut the S-video cables in half and spliced them to the wires already on the scales, and bought the connectors with the DRO kit.
I also soldered the leads to the caliper I'm trying to read with the Arduino. I have salvaged several PS2 type mouse cords with PS2 connectors, and have several PS2 connectors of the type found in the expansion slots of old computer towers to interface if needed.

Chuck
Micromark 7x14 Lathe, X2 Mill , old Green 4x6 bandsaw
The difficult takes me a while, the impossible takes a little longer.
Thanks given by:
I just want to say that this is interesting stuff to see about all the electronics. And it's so far over my head that it's a really nice turnaround when you guys talk about this in the same way that I ramble on about carbide insert tooling technology. You have all this expensive, cool diagnostic electronic equipment and the knowledge to use it. Those tools would be "as casting pearls before swine" in my hands.

Turnabout is fair play. Carry on!
Thanks given by:
Chuck,

I ordered one of the new HF digital calipers which should be here Monday. So with the old one I have and the new one that's on its way, I should have both protocols covered. This weekend I'll design up that 1.5VDC regulator to run off of the Arduino board so you can power the digital caliper. I'll need to order some parts for that so I'll just use the battery to power mine while I look at the signals.

Ed
Thanks given by:
If it'll run on 1.2v you can do a pass transistor with 2 diodes in series in place of the zener.
Thanks given by:
Cable showed up today... YAY! Grabbed the scope was get down to business and the power switch looked funny. Not funny haha, funny strange. It looks like something fell off the desk onto it and broke it. BOOOOO! Something else to fix. Have to grab the other one outta the basement.
Thanks given by:
Chuck,

I got the parts from Digi-Key today so I can continue with this. It'll take a couple of days to get the interface built, quicker if I bring it to work and work on it but that's not likely to happen.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Got the interface board done. Now I just need to make the cables. I should be able to get those done at work tomorrow. I don't have the necessary crimpers at home to make them.

Ed

Thanks given by:
what did you use for a regulator?
Thanks given by: