My DRO install
I got my DRO this week fro Dro pros.  I bought the 3M 3 axis mill kit Link to DRO Pro site
I called them and asked a few questions before I ordered the kit and they were very helpful.  
 Today I started the install and I'm taking it slow. I installed the Y axis scale on the mill. I still need to finish modifying the bracket for the read head trolley.  I also installed the arm for the display. It might be another week before I can spend some more real time with the install.
[Image: DRO%20Install%20011_zpsmxmic0ng.jpg]

[Image: DRO%20Install%20009_zpsphaayau0.jpg]

After I cleaned up for the night
[Image: DRO%20Install%20015_zps8swevezr.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Looking good Mike. It's good to take your time and get it right the first time.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Looks good Mike - I'm watching this with interest.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
One step back two steps forward.  I was not satisfied with the alignment of the scale, so I took it off to realign it.  This gave me a chance to snap a picture of the backing plate and my modification of it. I forgot to take a picture the first time around and was not going to take off the scale to get a picture...so I thought.  I had to shorten the backing plate so it did not stick out too far forward, forcing me to re-drill the mounting and grub screw holes. The mounting screw in the center had to be counter sunk, and grub screws shortened  to allow the scale to mount flush. The only down side to my plan is that the front grub screws are covered, not allowing for adjustment with out removal of the scale.

the backing plate:
[Image: 002_zpsayrtxhzh.jpg]

After that was complete I finished my bracket modification and mounted it to the saddle and the read head.  One down, two to go!  The X axis should be easier, and the Z axis will be a royal pain in the arse!
[Image: 003_zpsbobeman3.jpg]

[Image: 004_zps33wsjtqe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(03-09-2015, 09:47 PM)mike-sid Wrote: ...the Z axis will be a royal pain in the arse!

Exactly why I am waiting to see how you do it Big Grin Nice work so far.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Thumbs Up 
X axis is done. Mounted the scale directly to the table and the read head to the saddle, no brackets needed. I had to shim the read head about .30" to line it up. This was 10x easier than the Y axis, but next the Z axis Bawling

[Image: 20150311_112000_zpsulxj2r2l.jpg]

[Image: 20150311_111945_zpstvidbega.jpg]
Thanks given by:
The Z axis. This is where I need help.  Not sure what way I should go??  

First here is the area where I need to mount the scale/read head.  
[Image: 20150311_112012_zps0frv4gyv.jpg]

Do I mount the scale to the knee and let half of it "hang" in the air unsupported?  That is the backer plate that I would mount and level and align, then the scale which is about 4" shorter mounts on that. The read head would go on the base of the mill with a bracket or two

[Image: 20150311_112235_zpsmeaygcko.jpg]

Or do I mount the scale to the base and the read head to the knee?  This looks like a better way, except the side of the scale which the read head goes into and has the rubber wipers to keep the swarf out will face to the right. That is my only concern. Where the backer bar sits in this picture is about the spot where it will go, maybe up an inch. So most of the time the scale will be below the table.  What do you think?? Maybe I can make up a Lexan gaurd for the scale? Bend it up nice 17428

[Image: 20150311_112314_zpsddl6wsaf.jpg]
Thanks given by:
post #6 should read .030" not .30"
Thanks given by:
Nice job Mike. Thumbsup

Good luck with the Z axis.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Nice work so far. I think you should spend the time to make blocks to get the long backing piece mounted to the base of the machine and fasten the read head to the moving knee.

I'll take some creativity to shape aluminum blocks, differently for top and bottom, but worth the effort.
Thanks given by: