My DRO install
Thanks for the clarification Mike. Now stop wasting time on here and get back to working on this Big Grin
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(03-14-2015, 05:04 PM)DaveH Wrote:
(03-14-2015, 04:47 PM)EdK Wrote: Nice vise stop Mike.  Thumbsup

Ed

Is that that red thing? Does look very nice Thumbsup - any chance of a few pics of it.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

I'll post some soon. It is an edge technology.  Real nice. For now here's a link

http://www.edgetechnologyproducts.com/pr...ngle-side/
Thanks given by: EdK , DaveH
(03-14-2015, 06:03 PM)Mayhem Wrote: Thanks for the clarification Mike.  Now stop wasting time on here and get back to working on this Big Grin

Done for today. Just go back from a game dinner and I'm over stuffed Sleep
Thanks given by:
We want to see you making chips Mike, not eating them...
Thanks given by:
Darren,  Here is the scale on the backing plate to show how I'm mounting it.  Everything is loose and just sitting in place. Worked today so no more progress
[Image: 20150315_183307_zps9oltjz2p.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Making progress I finished up the Z axis, but need to mount the chip guards and tidy up the wires. I'll have more pictures soon. My question is which way is positive travel and negative travel in each access? I've never used a DRO. I would guess it really does not matter, but I'll bet there is a standard way.
Thanks given by:
On Z, up towards the spindle is minus, dropping away is plus. On X, moving the table left (spindle to the right) is plus. On Y moving the saddle toward you (spindle toward the solid jaw of the vise) is plus.

At least that's the way it is on my Prototrak and all CNC vertcal machining centers i've ever programmed.
Thanks given by:
Personally, I would have installed it so the cable exited the read head from the bottom. You'll end up with a decent radius when coming to anchor the cable to the bracket, which then poses a hazard. If you make the radius too small you risk damaging the cable.

If you flip the whole thing so the cable is exiting the bottom of the read head you will only need to anchor the cable close to the read head and then let gravity take care of the rest.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Ken, I'll set it up like that. Darren, with this DRO, I can change which way it reads in the settings. The cable exits th read head from an end, so I ran them with the end facing in a direction not to kink them. If I was not going to work today I'd be working on securing the cables and making the final X axis bracket/table stop and finally putting on the chip guards
Thanks given by:
I'm on the home stretch. I'm working on the bracket/table stop for the X axis read head, and Y axis table stop. It is a simple design, the thin section, acting as a spacer between the saddle and read head, will bolt up behind the read head bolted to the saddle, while the bottom thicker section will extend past the read head acting as a table stop.  All I have left to do is to dill the mounting holes, but I quit working in the shop tonight at 9:30. Things were going well and I did not want to rush it and do something stupid.

The first picture is of the horizontal saw cutting the 1.5" x 4" AL bar stock into my rough dimension for the bracket.
[Image: 20150323_171943_zpshkxlcmmx.jpg]

the next two pictures are of the bracket almost done. Only so much time to work in the shop after work. I think the mounting bracket will be strong enough. The bracket will be bolted flat against the saddle and really is an elaborate shim.

[Image: 20150323_212700_zpsyr5lyfz2.jpg]
[Image: 20150323_212708_zpsx7ntil7d.jpg]
Thanks given by: