Mechanical planer to hydraulic
As usual, this thread is worthless without pix.

I agree -- hydraulic is probably a massive PITA
Thanks given by:
Hydraulic pump and MOTOR driving a sprocket & chain. It's still going to cost thousands unless you have access to old worn out parts...

My old planer has a simple motor and belt setup attached to the top. Someone bolted a plate to each upright and mounted a jackshaft & motor. Not the prettiest setup but it works. And quiet, too. I just love the clanking noises this thing makes. Smile

These pics taken right after unloading it, the belt's missing but you can see where it goes.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
If the goal is to resurface lathe beds, what's wrong with using the planer as originally intended rather than trying to make a surface grinder out of it?

I'm no scraper hand but I was under the impression that a good planer finish was a better starting point than a ground surface. A planed surface would likely be better than a milled one too.

In years past I ran a Gray Planer Mill with a single 50HP spindle. It had a 3 meter x 2 meter table and could just get a 6" milling cutter to the 4 corners. The 2-1/2" Acme screw for the table topped out at about 40" per minute in rapid or feed. The head could tilt about 30º either side of vertical, but once it was set by the last employed Gray service technician we never touched it. Your conversion wouldn't be a problem because milling rates would never approach that of the existing gear and rack arrangement.
Thanks given by:
Good reuse of an old planner , the fist surface grinders were modified planners . 

Sounds  a fairly easy job to convert to Hydraulic power , as long as you have a pump/motor combination to that would give you the flow rate for the surface speed you require . 
A pilot operated 4 port /3 way valve and a couple of pilot valves on a slide mount to set the  the stroke length would give the reciprocating motion , a flow restriction valve  so you could set the grinding surface speed . 

Have the return stoke on the rod side for faster return (less volume) .

You could look out for a forklift lift cylinder , they are single acting but do come fairly long , I have two 8 foot ones at work waiting to come home . They could be cut down , piston and gland would need a rework to be suitable for double acting ,oh and a port added to the tube . 

Or you could just use two single acting cylinders push / pull .

Yet again shame about the pond in the way . 

Rob  

Thanks given by:
Two forklift mast cylinders.  Now that's a possibility.
Thanks given by:
I'm going to stand my ground, forget hydraulics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_yoke

Mike
tekfab, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2013.
Thanks given by:
I like the idea of a scotch yoke, but to have 9 ft of reciprocating action the slot in the bar would have to be 4 1/2 ft long. Consequently it would not fit under the bed. I think I'd be better off using the existing gear & gear rack as I do not have enough travel on my mill to cut the slot in one set-up. Any bumps etc in the finish of the side of the slot would probably turn into a rough spot in the action of the table in turn making a divot or a small rise on the surface of the part being ground.

I'm going to revisit the idea of building a power pack to run a hydraulic motor/pump.

I'll try to take pics before I go to work in 2 1/2 hours or 1:30 Central Time. Given its a big flat spot it has naturally collected various items on top so I need to move some of it at least.
Thanks given by:
some pics

Hopefully these are not too large.  The Dumore tool post grinder I bought from a closed machine shop for $250.  It includes the HS internal attachment.

Attached Files
.pdf   planner -1-1.pdf (Size: 580.61 KB / Downloads: 22)
.pdf   planner 2-2.pdf (Size: 314.75 KB / Downloads: 14)
.pdf   Dumore.pdf (Size: 329.11 KB / Downloads: 12)
Thanks given by:
Nice piece of Old Iron - but I have to ask what's the utility of putting together a hydraulic drive when you have everything necessary to add a 3-phase motor and VFD and have a working drive system? Why make extra work for yourself? A VFD would really simplify the control circuitry, a limit switch at each end of table travel and it'd reverse, simples!

I'd be more concerned about the condition of the ways, they'll have a lot more influence on the results you'll get from it than the drive system, so investigate those first to determine whether you have a planer or a boat anchor :)
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men...
(Douglas Bader)
Thanks given by:
The ways are in amazing condition. 

Hadn't really considered a 3 phase motor & a VFD.  I have a 10hp 3 phase that came off my compressor that I kept "just in case".

This a perfect example of using a forum to gather multiple ideas to find the one that will work the best.

Thanks
Thanks given by: