Stock racks...what do you use?
It occurred to me to ask you all what you use for storing the metal stock you have in your shop. I know everyone has different needs, amounts of stock and space to work with, so I thought I'd share with you what my situation is for now.

In my shop I had very little stock for years, buying just what I needed for jobs as the need arose. Over the years, I found some longer lengths and was gifted a fair amount. Standing longer bars around the saw wasn't working well because one would fall and take out the rest. A flimsy wooden shelf I was using was no longer able hold growing pile of shorter pieces. So I had in mind a rack I'd seen somewhere that organized both types. I'd hit the local Craigslist and just typed "stock rack" into the search function. To my joy there was one hit, and it was EXACTLY what I had in mind. It became mine for $125.

When Darren was visiting most recently (last fall), he asked about it, and just recently reminded me that I was to measure it up and make a drawing so he could fabricate one like it.

Here it is, before the large donation from Wrustle's cleanout:

[Image: IMG_20130921_183013607_zps0a75d43a.jpg]

It's now so full that I really can't put anymore in it, and some of my stock is now stored in the garage that's a long walk from the shop. It's about 7 feet tall and 3 feet wide, and with the 1-1/2 x 1-1/2" x 1/8" angle iron for the frame and probably 14 or 16 gauge for the shelves, really quite sturdy. This one was made by Hodge Manufacturing of Springfield MA, and I can't seem to find much on the web about them though they do seem to be still in business. I find other similar racks offered by others, and the main difference seems to be that they all got a dose of OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration here in the US) and now have a chain across the long standing stock.

I've attached the simple sketch I made of this rack, so excuse my weak excuse for a technical drawing. I don't have the time nor inclination to sit in front of the PC and render it with a CAD system. Would any of you weld one up, besides Darren? Apologies that I scanned it upside down and simply can't seem to save it right side up after I rotate the view.

This appears to be what the Hodge Manufacturing Company is now, Durham Mfg Co., and the exact same rack.
http://www.hodgemfg.com/item.html?id=575

And Grainger sells them:
http://www.grainger.com/product/DURHAM-S...thumb$

Attached Files
.pdf   Hodge_stock_rack rotated.pdf (Size: 566.98 KB / Downloads: 17)
Thanks given by: vtsteam
One of those is on my long list of projects. I probably wouldn't make it as tall though. Thanks for the sketch.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(03-19-2015, 11:42 PM)PixMan Wrote: It occurred to me to ask you all what you use for storing the metal stock you have in your shop...

I have no system at present. Round stock is near the lathe but everything else is strewn all over the place. Hence my interest in your rack Big Grin
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
This seems a good project for anyone with a welder and some angle iron. Bending the heavy gauge steel for the shelves will be more of an issue, but I'm sure anyone can overcome that with basic fabrication skills. I myself have NEITHER. ;)

BTW, when I looked again at the Grainger offering, I noticed the country of origin is showing as Mexico. I guess Hodge Mfg was closed by Durham when they got bought out, or they're making higher value products here if they're still around at all. I've got an address and will check next time I'm out that way, just for curiosity's sake.
Thanks given by:
My current system is by AHS*. Though it has served me [notice the lack of a 'well' modifier] for many years it is in serious need of refinement.

I do like the 'shelf' concept. It seems simple but I'd not thought of it when doing several 'in the head' designs over the years.

Also the vertical nature of the long stock would work very well for the materials used by the mill and lathe. My current problem is long sticks [10 - 20 feet] that are for future welding projects. The best I can do with them is 'on the floor in the garage'.

* [Any Horizontal Surface]
Thanks given by:
Long pieces are the only thing that has an actual place here. I have a couple of pallet racks (similar to what home depot uses for shelves) and the top shelves have 1/4" all thread bent at a 90 and fastened to the fronts. They're 8-10' apart so long stuff is about all that would fit. I stuck a C clamp in the middle somewhere for 5-6' pieces.

The rest is in cardboard tubes behind the wood lathe, next to the toolbox, or sticking up between the tool chest and the wall, sticking out of a 5 gal bucket next to the drill press or just laying around whatever *horizontal surface* I can find that isn't already occupied, and in some cases even those that are.
Thanks given by:
In my walk-in cellar at home I have two 3-shelf racks, which are 4 feet deep. One is an eight foot, the other a six foot long. Just imagine how much crap has accumulated by tripling those footprints.

Frankly, I'm glad those things are nowhere near my shop, for obvious reasons. I limit how much crap I have in the shop by virtue of having NO place to put it. Even the little drawers that hold drills, taps, end mills and other little round trinkets are getting full. I'm not taking on more stock unless I'm going to use it up on a "right now" project.
Thanks given by:
(03-20-2015, 05:48 AM)EdK Wrote: One of those is on my long list of projects. I probably wouldn't make it as tall though. Thanks for the sketch.

Ed

You're welcome.

The height affords accommodating 8 foot lengths while leaning them back at an appropriate angle. It still gets a little dicey with it being as full as it is now when I have to get the 6 foot length of 3/8" round, which mysteriously moved behind the heavy rectangular stock and bigger rounds.

Access to the shelves is interesting as the rack fills. Because the heavier stuff tends to be shorter, as you get to the upper shelves they're still fairly open. The bottom (which isn't actually a shelf) has to be accessed from the side because the lowest part of the rack is so "densely populated."

A slightly more recent photo, and it's worse now.
[Image: IMG_2225-r_zpsb645423c.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Now THAT'S a problem I wish I had...
Thanks given by:
Here's how I store short stock. There are two more shelves down below that you can't see because of all of the crap piled in front of it. The very top shelf has side access only and I use it to store 3' lengths of material like drill rod, etc.
So I really only need to make a rack like Ken has for the longer pieces.

Ed

Thanks given by: