Loading Lever
Not sure if this is the right place for this as it's not a firearm, only an Air Rifle. Mods please move if neccesary!

I made this some years back, it's a cocking/loading lever for a 10 metre match gun. It was milled up quite quickly out of Aluminium alloy as I wasn't sure if the complete conversion on the rifle would work.

[Image: c52e2cc8fc1ac622e775f23bb0835c32_zpsboshda5c.jpg]
After some fiddling and a bit of head scratching I made up some new parts and the rifle worked fine. It's been a while now since it's even been out of the case but one thing I was unhappy about after a few months use after the conversion  was that the loading lever became something of a sloppy fit on the mounting/pivot.
It was made to a reasonably tight fit at the time and there's a brass bush in there to keep things smooth. I Have some time and my own mill now to remake some parts and was thinking of using stainless steel this time rather than alloy. I'm still worried that it may get loose over time though and I have the suspicion it may partly be because perhaps the parts aren't perfectly in alignment. It doesn't look out of line but that doesn't mean it isn't!

Anyone got any advice before I start work on any issues I may be missing that will affect how well it all fits and wears over time? I'm obviously expecting some wear to take place but I'd like to keep it to a minimum. Thanks in advance.
Arbalest, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
It's in the right place Thumbsup 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Thanks given by:
I think you're on the right track. I might suggest making the hinge pins a tad larger, and hardening them.

I used to shoot .22 rifles competitively as a youth. Great fun, wonderful mental training for the ability to focus.
Thanks given by:
I do recall long years ago, those FEINWEKBAU's won a lot of International competitions.
And if my memory serves me correct, also in .22 LR ???
Nice Gun U have there.
aRM
Thanks given by:
Yes, I could increase the pin size a bit, that may help.

I've always liked the look of Feinwerkbau stuff but Anschütz also make fine rifles. I've had a Shutz as well but much preferred the FWB.

I think I'll make the main lever and mount and fit them together on the action before cutting the slot for the secondary lever. I can then make sure everything lines up with any luck.

I've only got stainless rod in stock at the moment so I'll have plenty of chips to make to release the parts!  Smile
Arbalest, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by: