What insert profile
(04-09-2015, 02:40 PM)PixMan Wrote: For the inserts, consider the newest Walter grade WMP20S in the NF4 (finishing) and NM4 (medium-roughing) chipbreakers. The grade is the best "all around" grade I've ever seen and is good for steels, stainless steels and some exotics. Not as sharp as an uncoated polished one in aluminum, but it will work if you use heavier depth of cut and higher feed rates.

I'm very curious about that "Keep In Low" thing, it sure doesn't make any sense.

And yes, a 3.3/2.2 Kw motor is 3HP. The 2.2 / .74 equals just about 3HP, the 3.3 / .74 is the 4.5HP 20 minute duty cycle for overtorquing it.
Hello there KEN

Well, we have already sent out our feelers on those Inserts and need to rectify some they wrongly referred to. Hopefully, we should know better on Monday week.

Knowing and recalling on our Manual, we know there's typically not much there on instructions or actual usage of our Lathe. We checked with the Suppliers and the Guy did confirm that the 'Keep in Low' Lever was an "additional safety feature for threading" whilst working in the low Gears, and that we could use the HIGH option for normal turning if we so desired. Well, we had a good chance today to continue with our project and did experiment with that Lever specifically. Confidentially, we really thought and literally expected that, Man we gonna see real action with boosted 'HIGH Fast & Furious Speed' now from our machine using that Lever in the High position. Heck, what a drab disappointment. We found out that the Lever in High only permits a HIGH FEED Ratio whilst normal turning, which for our desired finishes, is generally not good at all. As U would guess, we resorted to the old LOW engagement and merrily continued with our work with the well expected results.

Maybe, just maybe, there's scope for its application in that it would be good for softer metals like NFM's Aluminium etc. where faster Feed Rates on fine cuts would result in extremely nice finishes. We'd really like to experiment and give that a shot some time. There are good possibilities there of which U would know better.

So that terminates the KEEP IN LOW saga and we must sincerely thank U Guys for giving us an opportunity to bring this to the surface to clear any and all misgivings, not to mention the positive pointers in picking the right inserts for our turning.
Much appreciated KEN.
aRM
Thanks given by:
You can download the latest catalogs and supplements from the Walter-tools.com website and see all the inserts.
Thanks given by:
(04-11-2015, 07:19 PM)PixMan Wrote: You can download the latest catalogs and supplements from the Walter-tools.com website and see all the inserts.

Thanks KEN
Will look that up
aRM
Thanks given by:
(04-08-2015, 01:27 AM)DaveH Wrote: These are the ones I'm currently using - for everything steel, stainless (303) brass, bronze aluminium even plastic.

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Hello DAVE
Do kindly let us have the Reference Number of Your Toolholder for the ISCAR CCMT Inserts- please
Regret being a pain
Thanks
aRM
Thanks given by:
Hi arm,

You're not a pain mate.

One of my boring bars has the designation  S16Q  SCLCR-09
Which probably does not mean much to you but it is an (ISO) (standard) nomenclature. [ Jawdrop that's a long word had to look that up  Smile ]

Now S is the first letter/number =1
        16 is the second letter/ number =2
        Q is the third letter/number =3
and so on,
S=4
C=5
L=6
C=7
R=8
09=9 
What does this all mean:
The first letter S=1 means it is a Steel Shank plain steel not carbide and no hole for coolant.
The second is 16 =2 simply the shank diameter. In this case 16mm
The third is Q= 3 Total length of the boring bar. In this case 180mm
The fourth is S=4 What type of clamping is used for the insert. In this case Screw.
The fifth is C=5 is the insert shape, In this case rhombic 80 deg.
The sixth is L=6 The approach angle. In this case 95 deg.
The seventh is C=7 is the relief angle. In this case 7 deg.
The eighth is R = 8 whether is it a right or left hand tool. In this case right hand (standard boring)
The ninth is 09 =9 (that 09 could be 06, 12,) is the length of the cutting edge of the insert. In this case 9mm.

Well there you have it I don't think I have explained it too good. I don't know this by heart I haven't remembered it I have to look it up Thumbsup 

Here a pic (where I got the info from) you can see where the numbers come in. Sorry it is sideways I have no idea how to turn it 17428 Figured it out Thumbsup

It does seem a bit complicated at first sight - the easy way is just ask a question Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: f350ca , aRM
So that boring bar is a run of the mill type nothing really special about it.
It is basically known as a SCLCR. 
The S16Q,   the 16 is important because it is the diameter of the boring bar and this will determine the minimum hole the boring bar will go in. In this case the minimum hole diameter is 20mm. Not 16mm that is the boring bar diameter my boring bar came with 3 milled flats (as most do) on it to make it easier to clamp in the tool post.
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Thanks given by: aRM
This boring bar is S12Q SCLCR 09 this is the same as the previous one except 12 replaces the 16.
So this is a 12mm diameter boring bar this will just go in a 13mm hole. Although it is designated a minimum of 14.
The 09 is the same so it takes the same size insert.

I have smaller boring bars but the insert changes to 06.
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Thanks given by: aRM
For external turning the insert holder is designated SCLCR 1212F 09
The SCLCR means the same as before. The 1212 is the size of the shank in this case it is 12mm x 12mm so it is a square shank by F mm long.
I do have one that is 1616H, still takes the 09 insert, the F and the H denote the total length 80mm and 100mm respectfully.

So the majority of my insert holders all take the same insert size 09. For me it helps to have only a single type and size insert to buy.
I'm sure I have confused you somewhat - just ask some questions. Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004 DaveH
Thanks given by:
(04-14-2015, 05:09 PM)DaveH Wrote: For external turning the insert holder is designated SCLCR 1212F 09
The SCLCR means the same as before. The 1212 is the size of the shank in this case it is 12mm x 12mm so it is a square shank by F mm long.
I do have one that is 1616H, still takes the 09 insert, the F and the H denote the total length 80mm and 100mm respectfully.

So the majority of my insert holders all take the same insert size 09. For me it helps to have only a single type and size insert to buy.
I'm sure I have confused you somewhat - just ask some questions. Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004 DaveH
Heck DAVE, like KEN U Guys are literally walking encyclopaedias. And are we lucky to have U Guys here !!!

OK. U have a specific Insert size with all round Toolholders. Now that's clever.

Initially we would like to get an Positive external Turning Holder so we would call for an SCLR 2020F 09, right, as our QCTP takes a 20 mm Height shank.
Hope I am understanding U correctly here.

The Boring Bar will follow, LORD Willing. Your explanation on the width of the Bar and the actual Bore size applicable was quite enlightening. Does pay to know to know these things !!!
Thanks a stack
Need to go out and look at Prices.
aRM
Thanks given by:
(04-15-2015, 12:09 AM)aRM Wrote: Initially we would like to get an Positive external Turning Holder so we would  call for an  SCLR  2020F 09, right,  as our QCTP takes a 20 mm Height shank.
Hope I am understanding U correctly here.

aRM

Close ..............  SCLCR you missed the last "C" out otherwise you are correct.
Just before you go out and buy something let's just get Ken's opinion if the 80deg Rhombic is the way to go. May be there is another way like the Trigon insert.
Ken is more up to date than I am.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: