Auto darkening welding mask
I have an auto  welding mask.
Today I started welding and it when dark. However it stayed dark for a few minutes 17428 
Then it when clear and I started to weld again but it didn't go dark.

I realize something is wrong with it (I'm not a total idiot Big Grin ) but is it finished?
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Have you checked the batteries?  Chin

How about the outer clear protective lens. Is it clean and not blocking the sensors?
Willie
Thanks given by:
Hi Willie,
It has solar cells which I assume charge the batteries. No idea where the batteries are 17428 It is clean. Smile
Do you think it just needs charging?
Looking at it the battery/batteries must be enclosed in the darkening unit.
Smiley-eatdrink004 
Dave
Thanks given by:
Normally, the ones with batteries also have adjustable shade and adjustable dwell (how long it stays dark after the arc goes out).

If yours doesn't have those controls, it may not have a battery.

I recently purchased a spare helmet from Home Depot for $70. It's a non-adjustable model with a large window & solar cells. Works great, and is much lighter than my expensive Miller helmet. I actually like it better.
Thanks given by:
It wasn't an expensive model although is was expensive 8 years ago.
No adjustments either dark or not.
Looking around they seem to have come down in price - well the non adjustable ones.
I'm not that bothered if it is broke so be it, I'll buy another.
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Al is right Dave. Yours may not have any batteries.  Blush 

What kind of helmet do you have? (Manufacturer & model.)
Willie
Thanks given by:
(04-09-2015, 04:24 PM)Highpower Wrote: What kind of helmet do you have? (Manufacturer & model.)

It just says "Shine" on it. No idea of the model. I have had a look on the web can't see anything that looks like mine 17428  They are all these fancy looking ones - mine is just plain grey.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Put it face up in the sunlight or under an incadescent light bulb for about 15 mins and see if it starts working. On mine they say to put it face down when storing to turn it off.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
(04-09-2015, 04:29 PM)DaveH Wrote:
(04-09-2015, 04:24 PM)Highpower Wrote: What kind of helmet do you have? (Manufacturer & model.)

It just says "Shine" on it. No idea of the model. I have had a look on the web can't see anything that looks like mine 17428  They are all these fancy looking ones - mine is just plain grey.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Oh. The first thing that popped up when I tried doing a search on it is .... 'Changzhou Shine Science & Technology Co., Ltd ..."
They obviously make welding helmets, but my malware software stopped my machine from accessing the site.  RolleyesOuch

So yeah, I'm going to say it's time to buy another helmet.  Blush
Willie
Thanks given by:
I tried leaving it in the sun for about 20 mins but it was cloudy. Still didn't go dark Cool 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Thanks given by: