A stainless steel boma
grind up a form tool to the shape you want and run them back thru the lathe. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
This is the "rivet" turned from a (cup square / coach / carriage) bolt. Or whatever they are called.
The bolt is M8, however the part that isn't threaded M8 is only 7mm in diameter Chin 
The rivet is not completely a round head because the head dia is 13mm and the depth of the head is 4.5mm. So to make it a proper round head the head dia will need to be 9mm and that is a little small. I may well go for 12mm head dia.

I think I will have to look at some M8 stainless bolts. Smile
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
nice looking rivet.

DA

Thanks given by:
Smile Thanks David
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Got some A2 cup square bolts M8x50mm long. I may just clean up the dome part, cut them to size  and use them as is. All depends what they look like as a 'rivet'.

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
The metalworkers club I'm in, there's a guy who at work needed a bunch of small parts similar to your rivets but smaller and precision. They had a formtool EDMed that would do the ball on the end, turn the other part to size and part it off in one shot. For the rivets you could probably grind a tool to do them then just crank them out on the lathe.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
One of the main problems (I have) with form tools is chatter, if the tool is small and the material is aluminium it's not too bad. This is stainless steel and I think even a form tool just for the dome radius will cause immense chatter.
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Thanks given by:
go slow use lots of lube

Thanks given by:
(06-04-2015, 05:16 PM)dallen Wrote: go slow use lots of lube

Now where have I heard that before?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(06-05-2015, 08:49 AM)Mayhem Wrote:
(06-04-2015, 05:16 PM)dallen Wrote: go slow use lots of lube

Now where have I heard that before?

Yikes
Thanks given by: