Log Splitter

I finished this a little over a month ago.  Main beam is a railroad rail that a buddy had behind his barn for 20+ years.  Hydraulic tank was an air tank from a semi-trailer.  5.5 horse power motor was from a pressure washer.  Wheels are from a Jeep Wrangler.  Splitting wedge was a weight off an International Harvester.  11gpm two stage pump, valve, hoses, hyd. cylinder, and filter and housing I purchased new along with hubs, spindles and some steel.  It took me about 2.5 months to build on my days off.  Wedge and cylinder mount are bolted to main beam because I didn't think I could get proper penetration in the high carbon steel railroad rail.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Nice log splitter Patrick. Thumbsup

I bet it rides nice and smooth with those big tires.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I bet it weighs a ton with that rail too!
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
Smart move on bolting the wedge. Or, you could have done what the railroads do and borrowed some of their thermite.  Big Grin 
Willie
Thanks given by:
Excellent job Patrick! You'll sure not heat stress your pump or other hydraulics with that BIG tank.
Thumbsup

Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Thanks...Yes it is a bit heavy so lawn tractor got a 2 inch ball hitch. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Lawn tractor get beefed up suspension?
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
LOL. Rotfl ..nope stock suspension on the lawn tractor.
Thanks given by:
One really nice log splitter Thumbsup  Smiley-signs107 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Very nice work.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: