To buy or not to buy
Thanks for the responses fellas, it is probably obvious that I have had almost nil to do with milling machines, just wanted to be sure that this type of mill would not prove to be a white elephant. I will go ahead and bid as much as I can justify at present, see what transpires. Would sure be nice to get something close to home for a change, also means I could keep pestering the guy for the dividing head.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
Wait till later tomorrow to make that bid. Any earlier will encourage others to try and outbid you. But you probably already know that.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
(05-12-2015, 05:18 PM)Vinny Wrote: Wait till later tomorrow to make that bid.  Any earlier will encourage others to try and outbid you.  But you probably already know that.

I'll be at work when the auction ends, will have to put my bid in tonight, never have got onto one of those sniping arrangements that everyone seems to have. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
I'm also planning on bidding on this ludicrously outsized belt grinder, if it goes cheap it would be good for a couple of contact wheels and other bits for a knife grinder, plus a 7.5hp rotary phase converter! Second biggest grinder I have ever seen.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/331549058037?...EBIDX%3AIT

Thanks given by:
Did ya get it?
Thanks given by:
Someone did. It went for $1680 (or something close to that).
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
Thanks given by:
Didn't get the mill, at least 2 people wanted it more than I did! I put in a bid that was quite a stretch for me at present as it's not something I had budgeted for, just had to have a go with it being so close to home (unlike the 2,000km round trip to get my lathe!).

At the time the auction ended, I was at Monash University watching my eldest daughter's graduation ceremony, so I think I can put the evening down as a nett positive, despite the auction loss Big Grin

Having made an attempt at this mill has whetted my appetite, think I'm going to have to get serious about acquiring one. Actually have some momentum with the wife on this now, too.

Thanks given by:
No worries Pete.  You will find one.
Thanks given by:
Keep looking Pete and you will find one.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(05-14-2015, 07:48 PM)Pete O Wrote: Didn't get the mill, at least 2 people wanted it more than I did! I put in a bid that was quite a stretch for me at present as it's not something I had budgeted for, just had to have a go with it being so close to home

Do you have Craig's List or something similar down under?
Thanks given by:
(05-15-2015, 12:35 AM)Dr Stan Wrote: Do you have Craig's List or something similar down under?

We have eBay and Gumtree (not sure if that is local or international, but it's a pain to use), there are a couple of commercial machinery sales websites but they are dominated by dealers so everything is much more pricey.
I think the key is to be patient and let the right thing come up, unfortunately I have a lifelong habit of getting excited about the first one I come across!

Thanks given by: