Where 2 mount ball turner ???
Hi Guys
This project has been wrecking my mind and been stalled for quite some time now, all because we find it hard to to ask and make a fool of  .........
Oh  heck,  here  goes  ....

We originally intended to mount the Ball Turner ( BT )  on the spot where the Lathe Toolpost is and copied to those exact dimensions with good results. However, on giving the BT a trial run we were sadly disappointed as the BT could not reach the work mounted in the chuck  -  all because the Cross Slide would travel no further.  On discussing with the supplier of the machine as to whether one would be able to lengthen the Cross Slide Screw we were informed that none was supplied and making one might just not be feasible as the Nut at the Bottom might not have  enough room  to be  moved forward,  or  something to that effect. Don't hold me on that.

Looking at most other lathes and even Toolpost Tooling one often sees lathe Milling attachments etc mounted directly on the Cross Slide.  So we think we still have hope of being able to finish our BT. However, the question now begs as to where exactly it could be mounted.  All we need is to move the BT forward  from the original position,  closer to the centre point of the work piece held in the Chuck, drill and tap new holes and ....Bob's Your Uncle  !!!  But,  and that's a big But there ..........will  that be OK  ???  No Lubrication pipes below or somethings there we gonna bust up  ???  We reckon we would need drill approximately 15 mm's and yet the the Cross slide has a thickness of  over 20mm, although  we would be quite close to the Dovetailed ways, which we would not reach at all maybe.  And if that is possible then the Drilled holes could also be closed off with Grub ( Set ) Screws when not in use.  

Guys do give us Your thoughts here.  We have attached some pics, albeit we would like to add the narrative to each but don't know how.  knowing U Guys, we are  sure U will get the gist better therefrom.

TIA
aRM

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
You've got a milling machine. Make an new adapter plate to move it forward by the amount needed, face turn the thickness of the plate you make off the bottom of the thick round that it sits on now.
Thanks given by: aRM
I drilled and tapped 4 M8 holes in my cross slide. Many folks are lucky enough to have a tee slotted cross side but sadly my 8 x 14" doesn't.

[Image: 360b19d3748df2165f6e410c9f42da85_zps2df56d9b.jpg]
Arbalest, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
If you don't want to drill and tap your cross slide you could use this idea and attach it to your tool holder.
I personally can't see it being as rigid as fixing it directly to the cross slide - but who knows Smile 

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Take your cross slide apart and figure out where the shortfall is. Then build new parts to suit!
Thanks given by:
(05-16-2015, 01:44 PM)Roadracer_Al Wrote: Take your cross slide apart and figure out where the shortfall is.  Then build new parts to suit!
Hi AL
Regret we not too familiar with that type of stripping !!!

Have already mulled that over, studied the Cross Slide set up, scratched head good couple of times. Really scared if we open that Cross Slide will we be able to put it back exactly the same way ?? Just don't have the know how nor the confidence to tackle that, though we'd love to give it a shot to improve our knowledge.

Then that whispering at the back, "don't bugger up Your machine, leave well and good enough alone"
aRM
Thanks given by:
(05-14-2015, 01:15 PM)Arbalest Wrote: I drilled and tapped 4 M8 holes in my cross slide. Many folks are lucky enough to have a tee slotted cross side but sadly my 8 x 14" doesn't.

[Image: 360b19d3748df2165f6e410c9f42da85_zps2df56d9b.jpg]

Hello there
That makes two of us, though they may be quite a few like ours out there.
Seems like the only way to go, if push comes to shove
Neat and nice looking one U have made there
Thanks all the same
aRM
Thanks given by:
(05-14-2015, 10:08 AM)PixMan Wrote: You've got a milling machine. Make an new adapter plate to move it forward by the amount needed, face turn the thickness of the plate you make off the bottom of the thick round that it sits on now.

Hello KEN
U giving me more complicated work. Have thought about that as well. And it will take good skill ( like Yours ) to machine that plate, bore the right size hole to match the top section etc etc to move the whole setup forward. No denying it can't be done.
No offence, we were hoping for an easier solution.
Let me think this over the more
aRM
Thanks given by:
You may have to use a longer piece of round to make your ball so it sticks out of the chuck farther.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
if the ball turner won't reach the work because the cross slide won't travel far enough for the bit to reach the work.

Take a piece of flat bar long enough to fix it and drill two hole in one end so you can bolt it onto the cross slide where the compound attaches, the tap two holes in the other end to bolt the ball turner too.

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by: