Elliott Concord 460 lathe
Last weekend I had a quick look on a couple of local online classified websites, similar to Craigslist in the US.  Among the lathes up for sale was an Elliott Concord 460.  There wasn't a lot of info in the add, so I set about searching the web to try and dig something up.

These were made in the UK and the spindle is clutch driven.  There are a few variants about and the owner (not a machinist) didn't really know to much about it.  The top spindle speed is 1000 RPM which was a little less than what I was looking for but that is already more than double the top speed of my current lathe.  

It has a bit of wear but nothing I wouldn't expect.  The spindle ran quietly and has a 90mm (3-9/16") through hole. There is a single point dog clutch for metric threading.  Basically you engage the half nut and leave it engaged and then use the clutch to start/stop the cut and to reverse the carriage back to its position.  Pretty cool I think.  It comes with two steady rests and a follow rest.  There is also a four-jaw chuck and a couple of components of a taper attachment.  

It has a Dickson type QCTP with four holders for square shank tools (at least one has a v-groove so a boring bar can sit in there) and one to take a MT3 shank tool.  The holders can take 32mm tooling.  I'm unsure at this point whether I keep this one or use my current QCTP, for which I have more holders.  To buy a similar QCTP locally is $760 (with 4 square shank tool and one boring bar holder).  Individual tool holders start at $100.

The main issue with it is that the power feed is not working.  The power feed shaft rotates but I couldn't get either the transverse or longitudinal feed to engage.  I came home and purchased the user/maintenance manual online for $20 and read through it.  The feed is engaged by a spring loaded worm drive and it appears that the drive drops out automatically if the feed is tripped (read crash!).  There is a port on the side of the apron that allows access to the spring for adjustment.  This info and the exploded diagram should help me figure out what is wrong and (hopefully) fix it.

Some other info that I learned from the manual but haven't confirmed myself yet:  

The spindle is DIN 55022 No.8, which I had never heard of but I am sure I will figure that out.  
The motor is 12HP
The headstock and feedbox are dry, with oil being pumped from the sump to the headstock, where it runs through the feedbox and back to the sump.  The tailstock takes MT5 tooling.  It doesn't say what the headstock takes.  There are no centres with the lathe. The clutches are adjustable

I knew I was taking a gamble with the feed not working but the feed isn't working on my current lathe either.  What I gain in upgrading is a much more modern machine.  I can quickly select from 2 - 112 inch or 0.25 - 14 metric threads (there is a lever that switches between the two), so no more change gears.  I get flood coolant capabilities as well.  I will be taking my DRO off if my current lathe and putting it onto this one.  Ken quickly confirmed my gut feeling that the gamble was definitely worth it.

So - on Friday, I negotiated a price of $2,300 and shook the sellers hand.  I am waiting to hear back from a friend of a friend who has a truck with a hiab on it and hoping to get it next weekend.

OK - a couple of pics.

Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Congratulations on the new toy! And on being so stealthy. Rotfl

This is far more machine than you currently have, in so many ways. The best part is the bargain you got. In talking with you over the past few years and seeing the evidence, ANY worthwhile machine down your way is both rare and expensive. THAT machine at THAT price was/is an incredible bargain, and that thing will clean up NICE.

Does that jib crane for changing chucks come with the machine? I sure hope so but it shouldn't be a deal breaker if not.

There will be a time period for getting it in place, cleaning it up and getting everything working but it will be time well-spent. Just having the increased speed is huge, but the quick change feed box that most of us take for granted will be pure luxury. Others should know, it's 12.5HP on the spindle, so negative rake tooling will be a cost saver. Among the other cool features is the 90mm spindle bore, and has both a follower and a steady rest. You could easily become the local "go-to guy" for long shaft work.

Those here who have Hardinge, Monarch EE and other dog clutch equipped machines will appreciate that your machine also has that feature for the easiest threading ever. No signs of the threading dial, but with the dog clutch it may never be needed. The threading dial and dog clutch lever are both in a rather odd place...left side of the carriage.

I'm so happy for you! Best of luck on the new project of getting the machine in and running.

Cheers!

Ken
Thanks given by: Mayhem
Congratulations are definitely in order.
We need more info, whats the swing and bed length? Couldn't find that on a quick search.
You'll love that big spindle bore, mine is 3 inch, that extra 9/16 would be great at times.
I don't think I ever take mine over 1000 rpm, those big chucks take a lot of energy to spin up, probably 3 or 4 seconds for the clutch to catch up at 1000 rpm. My cast 4 jaw is only rated for 700 rpm to begin with.
Hope the apron problem is easier to sort out than the mil was. Im sure we'll get interesting posts either way.
Happy turning.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Nice one Darren ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, thats some lathe you have there mate .  Worthy Worthy Worthy

Rob
Oh you bastards! You got me good.  Rotfl

That's a beast of a lathe.  Yikes

Congratulations Darren. I look forward to the cleanup/start-up thread.

Ed
(05-16-2015, 08:55 AM)f350ca Wrote: ...
We need more info, whats the swing and bed length? Couldn't find that on a quick search.

Mr Google gave me this info:

Elliott Concord 460 Lathe
  • 6ft between centres
  • 32" swing
  • 18" over bed
  • 10" over saddle
  • 90mm through spindle
  • Speed 1500 - 30 rpm
Ed

EDIT: It appears that the lathe is available in different lengths of beds.
Thanks given by:
Darren,

It looks like you'll be getting that angle plate you've been needing lately. Smile

Ed
Thanks given by:
Thanks Guys Big Grin

Ken - as always your advise and experience was greatly appreciated.  I am really looking forward to getting this in my shop.  Yes the jib crane comes with it.  He also gave me a 5 gallon pail of soluble cutting oil.  I think he has only used a quart of it, as it is almost full to the top.  There is also a 12-5/8" x 10" x 6" (1-9/16" thick) angle plate, which is on the pallet as well and is now mine.

Greg - to be honest, I spent so much time trying to get the feed working when I was there that I completely forgot to measure the swing and distance between centres etc.

Ed - I'm not sure if Mr Google is 100% accurate there, as (unless I screwed up) the top speed is 1000 RPM.  If it is 1500 RPM then I will be happier than a pig in sh!t, as that more than triples my current lathe.

The manual I bought shows that there are four models (1250, 1750, 2500 and 3000) which may indicate different bed lengths but I really am unsure about that.  I know the OAL of this lathe is 4m, as I was worried as to whether I would be able to put it into the spot that I had planned to put my current lathe.  The data in the DIN spindle shows the centre height for the gap and the bed but again, I need to verify this.

The manual shows a lathe than must be the model after mine, as it shows a one-shot lube on the carriage, where mine has oil nipples and the threading dial doesn't seem to have been an option with mine, as there are no bolt holes for it.  The exploded diagram states Mk III, so I'm guessing mine is a MK II or possibly a MK I.

There is a filler piece that can be removed to make the gap bigger for larger capacity work.
Thanks given by:
This picture shows the threading dial.

Ed

Thanks given by:
The manual shows it on the headstock side. I cannot tell from that picture if the small handle is the dog clutch or the spindle control. If it is the dog clutch, it too is on the other side. If it is the spindle control, it is very short compared to mine.

I may make one but as Ken said, I can use the dog clutch. Although, the manual says not to do this for threads below 6tpi. I can't imagine that I will ever need to turn a thread that coarse.

I can see that you guys are going to want lots of details and pictures when I get it...
Thanks given by: