Wilton Verti-Lock Mill Vise question
I have a Wilton Verti-Lock Mill Vise I bought and have been using on my Jet 18" Mill/Drill it replaced a Harbor Freight $30.00 drill press vise I had been using.

I like the vise but it has this sticky coating I haven't been able to remove.

I watched a you tube that mrpete222 had showing how to clean and repair a quick change gear box for his lathe.
I thought about using break drum cleaner but he said it would dissolve the paint.

I don't want to remove the lubrication on the screw that tightens the movable jaw.

I don't like to brush them it is most aggravating to not to be able to get it clean.
I use a vacuum to clean al the tools in my shop.
I wonder if they used some kind of fish oil paint that will take years to dry.

I have spent hours trying to find some kind of a PDF manual that will show how to dissemble, clean, reassemble and a parts list.

So my question is what is the best way to clean all the sticky residue off. Chin

Any assistance will be appreciated.
Thanks given by:
I use denatured alcohol but if that doesn't work for you try kerosene.

Ed
Thanks given by:
If that doesn't work, try mineral spirits, then gasoline. Neither will harm the paint. But I'd wear a mask rated for organic solvents when using the gasoline.
Thanks given by:
I would never use gasoline, but that's my thing. It's just too volatile and the smell permeates throughout even at trace amounts.

The tool is probably coated in a petroleum based anti-corrosion coating, so I might try a detergent, then kerosene, then denatured alcohol. I have "Goo Be Gone" spray that works great for removing sticky residue, but that seems to be petroleum based and smells remarkably like WD40. Try that yet?
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the possible cleaning solutions.
I have noticed that the paint finish is gritty it will scrape off using my fingernail I am thinking of using a stiff parts brush.
Probably should have bought the Kurt I was looking but the extra $200 or more plus the $90 to $100 for shipping put it out of my price range for now.
I have some Mean Green that works great on grease but it will have to be flushed off with water but concerned with it causing rust.
I guess I could flush it with WD-40 to remove any water.
I still haven't found how to dissemble the vise for a through cleaning.
Any one know how this is done? I don't want to fudge up a new vise.
Thanks for your assistance.
Thanks given by:
Swede,

Does it have a model number on it? Can you post a picture of it?

Ed
Thanks given by:
Until we have a model number this is the best I can do. It's real similar to a Kurt vise by the looks of it.

Ed

Thanks given by:
After looking it up on Wilton's website I have to agree with Ed, it's another Kurt clone though didn't seem that much cheaper. It'll come apart the same way.

Take the hard jaws off first, then back out the set screw at the center of the moving jaw until flush or sticking out from the jaw a bit. Remove it if you want. Push the moving jaw forward and it'll lift out, but watch for the hemispherical piece that can come out with either the jaw or stay with the clamping nut.

Flip the vise over and remove the socket head cap screws holding the solid jaw. You may need to use a long 3/8"punch in the tapped holes to knock the solid jaw off. Remove the long key. Now you can unscrew the clamp nut from the LH screw. Loosen the set screw on the retaining ring behind the thrust bearing and unscrew the ring. Now the big LH screw can be slid out the front. Done.

Lather, rinse, reassemble.
Thanks given by:
Wilton Model: 1250N Mfg, No: 1307024
I cleaned the vise as much as I could using a toothbrush a parts brush and some kerosene I had.
The paint must be what is sticky it has a two year warranty it looks like the only way to get rid of the sticky fish oil crap paint is to strip it and repaint.
I don't want to start taking the vise apart until I understand how it was put together.

It was a couple hundred dollars cheaper than the same in a Kurt that wouldn't have hurt but the $100 extra for the shipping cost was a deal breaker.
No one in town carries the Kurt and if they did they would want full Manufactures listed price.

I have had people steal the mail out of our mail box all of my utility bills we had put checks in the mail box came up with threaten to shut off our service and none of the checks cleared the bank. Later I heard on the local news about people trying to rewrite checks sent to pay bills to buy personal stuff. I am not the only person this has happened to.

UPS never seems to understand I live in the house on the back so they leave all my packages on my parents porch.
I don't want to buy a vise for some dope attic to steal and sell for drug money.
Thanks given by:
Here's the exploded view of your vise. Easy enough to take apart. Again, it looks very similar to the Kurt mill vises.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/wilton-...55581.html

Ed

Thanks given by: