walter inserts
just snagged these off evil bay for the princely sum of 25.00 with free shipping.

dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
A great deal, but what will you use them for? Those are inserts for a VWDR insert drill in the 1" to 1-1/4" range, and UK20 is the uncoated grade for cast irons. The 1P chipbreaker is a light T-land (dull) edge prep for that kind of material.

The Val-U-Dex drills were discontinued in 2011, and just this year they've stopped making the inserts and are just selling whatever is left in stock. They've had a "Body Exchange Program" in place for a couple of years to swap out the older drills for newer Walter "XtraTec" drills, but that's just the steel bodies and not the inserts.

Fortunately there are a LOT of those drills on eBay and elsewhere, plus the drills currently offered by Ultradex (and perhaps Dorian) use those inserts too. I have a full box of the next size up, WCEM321-1P/WCEM060304-1P in the coated grade 5225 and I've been offering them for $30 with no takers for some time.
Thanks given by:
guess I spent 25 buck for something else I can't use, I'll find some way to use them even if I have to make something.

Thanks given by:
Don't be too hasty. I think you might be able get a boring bar or turning holder made for WCMT/WCGT inserts and those would fit with the right screws.
Thanks given by:
that's what I was thinking with the shape,

somewhere around here I have a couple screw on carbide drill points for I think a 11/16 drill, pretty little things totally useless to me after I spent good money on them. Of course I have other stuff that I've got with no way to use it after buying it except to make something to use it with.

DA

Thanks given by:
received in the mail today the inserts that I bought off of EBay.

Here's a photo of what I bought, maybe Ken can tell me if I wasted my money

David

Thanks given by:
David,

They're only a waste if you don't buy a VDWR drill that takes them or make a special holder to use them for turning or boring. I've looked at industry standard boring bars that take WCMT/WCGT inserts but those are only available for insert sizes 06 and 04, you have the in-between size.

The inserts have a 7º side clearance angle and the trigon shape that would be difficult to machine without tracing or CNC toolpaths, so you might have to compromise on pocket shape and engage only one of the two included angles along the edges.

I will check if I have any option for you.

Ken
Thanks given by:
(05-29-2015, 03:59 PM)PixMan Wrote: David,

They're only a waste if you don't buy a VDWR drill that takes them or make a special holder to use them for turning or boring. I've looked at industry standard boring bars that take WCMT/WCGT inserts but those are only available for insert sizes 06 and 04, you have the in-between size.

The inserts have a 7º side clearance angle and the trigon shape that would be difficult to machine without tracing or CNC toolpaths, so you might have to compromise on pocket shape and engage only one of the two included angles along the edges.

I will check if I have any option for you.

Ken

do you have a screw that will work, I can whittle out a holder,

DA

Thanks given by:
Sorry David, but I don't have any screws for those drills and inserts that go in them. From the catalog I have that the proper screw was a Valenite part number PT487T, which is an M2.5x0.45, 0.170" length of thread under the head, head diameter Ø0.130", 52º included angle, 0.270" overall length, Torx T-7 socket.

Hope that helps.

Ken
Thanks given by:
(05-29-2015, 06:11 PM)PixMan Wrote: Sorry David, but I don't have any screws for those drills and inserts that go in them. From the catalog I have that the proper screw was a Valenite part number PT487T, which is an M2.5x0.45, 0.170" length of thread under the head, head diameter Ø0.130", 52º included angle, 0.270" overall length, Torx T-7 socket.

Hope that helps.

Ken

knowing the screw diameter I can get something that will fit thru the hole, seeing as how I can't push them at the feeds and speeds that they should be worked at I think I can come up with something.

May be able to take one of my old 3/8 inch tpg holders and do some modifying and get something that will work.

Thanks, next time I'll ask before I put out the cash. I bought a 8 inch chuck one time that is totally useless to me as it fits some cnc machine with a bar feeder or some thing like that on it, takes a hydraulic or pneumatic closure, nice chuck too cost about 1400.00 dollars I got it for 125.00 brand spanking new.

DA

Thanks given by: