This followed me home today.
(05-26-2015, 07:45 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Something like this: 

[Image: cin_all.jpg]

Thanks Darren, even I can understand that explanation!
The machine in the photo is slung under the bolt-on casting at the front, mine doesn't have anything protruding like that other than the vertical attachment, so I have a couple of questions;
is it okay to lift entirely from the overarm so that all the weight is on the ways of the overarm?
Alternatively, is it okay for the front leg of the sling to be under the vertical attachment?
I did an internet search for images of mills being lifted and didn't find anything that helped me. The very nice Cincinatti mill in the above photo looks to be probably not as heavy as mine. I'm very nervous about lifting it, if I were to break the ways out of the top of the column or break the bolts holding the vertical head out of the column, I think the machine would be scrap metal.
I might see if I can take some photos with a sling arranged in various positions and then ask for opinions on what is best.

Just a further thought; I have sent an enquiry to lathes.co.uk about an operator's manual, would the manual have instructions for lifting the machine?
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
This is how I lifted my mill but I'm not entirely sure about your mill Pete. Your idea of taking pictures and posting them is good. There are a lot of people on here who are far more experienced than I.

Actually, I just recalled that Ken advised you not to try to lift it with you hoist. How did you get it on the trailer?

You only need to lift it enough to pull the trailer out. You can use pipe as rollers to move it. That is what I did and it worked very well.

Search around for a manual. I had to join a French machining site to download a free copy of the manual for my Kondia mill. For my new lathe I found one for £9 when orhers wanted £45.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Pete, you're going to enjoy that mill. I see you've got the universal vertical head as well. My vertical is a plain - swivels left and right, but not front and back.

The second horizontal cut I made with it was 1" wide by 1/2" deep down the middle of a 14" long piece of 2"x2" steel in one pass. Gotta love that power drive.

Now I'm really missing my machines. Still waiting for the insurance adjuster to say whether they'll pay me to recondition my equipment. I'll do it for half the current bid.

BTW, the Elliott manual (later years of the Victoria) says to lift the mill by slinging from the overarm. You can buy the manual from Tony Griffiths at http://www.lathes.co.uk/manuals/

Good find. Congrats.
Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
I advised against lifting it with an engine hoist because most of those are rated for about 2000 lbs / little under 1000Kg and that machine is probably twice that weight.
Thanks given by:
Darren, since it's on a pallet my first guess would be it was put on with a hilo (forklift). I've seen monster forklifts. Altho it coulda been an overhead crane.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
The mill was loaded onto the trailer with a forklift. No forklift anywhere near me unfortunately, I actually have a forklift attachment that I built for the 3-point-linkage on my old Ford tractor, but the hydraulic pump is so dead I couldn't lift a round hay bale with it the other week Jawdrop another project on the waiting list!

I've been cleaning the mill up a bit, also exploring the electricals to make sure it is all safe, seems pretty good except for where the mains lead goes into the machine in my earlier photo, needs a new junction box to tidy that all up.

I have struck somewhat of a setback, turns out the motor on this machine is 4hp, not the 2hp that I thought (it was inaccessible where I first viewed it). The motor that I planned to use for a phase converter is only 3hp. Won't be running it until I can figure out what to do there; first thing is to start looking for a cheap 3 phase motor bigger than 4hp I guess.

Whilst it's still on the trailer. i'm going to take it out and attack the bottom part of the machine with the pressure cleaner, also drain the sludge out of the coolant well.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
Pete O, you've probably thought of this but here goes. If you have any idea what your trailer weighs and there is a vehicle scale nearby you could drive it over and subtract the weight of your trailer to get a pretty good idea of the weight. Chin 

Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Go fix the hydraulic pump on that tractor - problem solved Big Grin
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
old ford tractor, I don't think you will pick up that mill on the 3 point lift, but then I may be wrong.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Nice mill
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by: