This followed me home today.
The trouble with lifting from under is that the mill is top heavy. A slip of the sling and over she goes. Same with a forklift on that pallet - just asking for trouble. That's why they say to use the overarm.
Thanks given by:
Looks nice piece of kit... you've probably done it but it would be advisable to remove the cutter from the quill before you do some damage to yourself & / or the cutter

George
George

mechman48, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jul 2013.
Thanks given by:
I've left the mill alone for the past several days whilst I've been working on my furnace, decided I needed to get that refractory poured then move on to the mill, also been waiting on a manual so I could get the maker's lowdown on where to sling it from. I got the PDF handbook last night and Sunset is spot on, they say to sling it from the overarm. I've taken the vertical head off both to reduce the weight and to allow the overarm to slide forward so there is enough to get a sling on front and back. I'm working over the weekend then have some annual leave after that so one way or another this is coming off the trailer on Monday, worst case is I'll have to pay someone to come out from town with a crane.
Reading the owner's manual has raised some questions for me, firstly with regard to how they say to locate the machine. They say to use metal wedges to level the machine, using a precision level on the table, then to grout under it. Can you guys give me some advice on the latter? Does the whole machine have to sit on a bed of grout, or just around the perimeter? What mix should be used to make up the grout? Do most people not bother with this or is it absolutely necessary? Can't say I've seen any posts on grouting under a machine but maybe I have missed this.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
they actually make a grout mix just for this, but me I'd probably shim it up with steel plates at the corners.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
The grout should reduce vibration by making the base a little more solid and housekeeping chores are made easier. I'd rather not grout, mostly because I don't want to contend with grout stuck to the floor making pipe rollers difficult to use if I should want to move the thing. The reason they are leveled is so oil drains from the table properly and who knows, you might want to use a level in making a setup some day.
Thanks given by:
Yep - shims for me.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
I mentioned in another thread that there are some important bits missing from the mill, specifically the drive components for the power feed system. There is a shaft that comes off the main gearbox, has 2 universal joints in it and follows the knee up and down, (is like the propshaft from a car in miniature) then there is a keyed shaft that is driven from there and goes through two gearboxes which run the power feeds. Both of these shafts are missing completely. I've bought some stock to make the second shaft, shouldn't be too difficult, however I've been searching for universal joints etc to make the first shaft and they are prohibitively expensive, over $250 for each universal joint, and I have been unable to source them in the imperial sizes needed anyway.
So now I am looking for any companies or individuals who may have parts for these machines, apparently they were sold very widely in their day so surely there must be a few parts out there. So far I have come up empty handed (most companies don't bother replying), so wondering if any of you guys might know of any machinery dismantlers or dealers that might be worth trying?
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
Could you not make the UJ?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
I see some holes in the base of the mill so I'd make some leveling jacks similar to these:

http://www.travers.com/royal-machine-mou...d%20298550
Thanks given by:
Can you adapt a U-Joint from an impact socket set?
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by: