Help How much oil?
Big Grin 
I have got my 16 by 54 American pacemaker unloaded and in the play room. I would like to change all the oils, does any one know how much oil the headstock holds?
I'll try to post some. Pictures of my collection of old stuff when I can.
Thanks ron
Scruffy, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2014.
Thanks given by:
Ron,

Nice lathe, for certain! I think that volume is something that will have to come from the manual as I know of no one here who has the same machine. Tony @ lathes.co.uk might have a manual if you don't, but you really shouldn't worry too much about it as long as the machine labels state WHICH oil it uses in there.

You can get a good idea of how much it needs by measuring how much drains out. A rough guess might be more than 1 gallon but less than 3. I would imagine the machine has a sight glass to bring it up to the correct level and maintain it.
Thanks given by:
That is IMHO the best lathe ever. We had them on the USS Samuel Gompers AD-37 and at 10 years old bolted to a steel deck that moved every which way we could still hold +/- .0002" on the bearing journals of pump shafts with a max TIR of .001". Except for when the ship fitters on the deck above used their shear capable of cutting 1" 1018 8 ft long. One could see the whole lathe bounce up & down.
Thanks given by:
No pics = no lathe = no need for oil = no problem with volume Big Grin
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Well

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Well 2

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Kinda hard to use but their it is
Ron
Thanks given by:
OK - now I believe you Big Grin
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Don't bother with the oil change. The lathe is scrap, and with junky oil in it the scrap price is negative.

I will step up and be your hero and remove it for you. What time would you want the rigger to show up?

Big Grin

Ok, you can keep them both. That's a keeper on both counts. Is the shaper a 16" G&E or Cincinnati?
Thanks given by:
That shop is too clean. It must not be used.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by: