Ok, what went wrong?
Now this is one butt ugly cut. The pic actually makes it look better. So what did I do wrong? Plasma cut (pilot arc 50A), about 70 PSI. While cutting it was trying to weld itself back together. Consumables (and cutter) are new, but to plasma cutting, so am I. Not following the line was all me, I should've used a straight edge cuze the line got hard to see. The steel is 4x4 5/16" thick.

[Image: butt-ugly-cut.jpg]
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
could be from slag buildup in the tube at the area of the cut. or one too many Linenkugals  Big Grin

I've seen worse but it was in 2 inch plate

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Yeah when I went out to start putting stuff away I hit it with the pliers and the dross came off, but while cutting I was getting alot of blowback and like I said it was trying to weld itself together. Not enough air pressure?
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
Thanks given by:
could be whats the recommended pressure for you plasma?

DA

Thanks given by:
45 - 72 PSI.
Thanks given by:
hard to say what caused it, could be one of a handful of different causes,

Thanks given by:
Your just getting shaky in your old age Vinny. A straight edge is the only way I can get a decent cut. Plasma is totally unforgiving when it comes to advance speed and side movement. Too slow moving is better than unsteady fast. 5/16 might be pushing the envelope for the torch too, my Hypertherm is rated for something like 3/4 cut and 1 inch sever, but 1/2 is pushing it, even 3/8 isn't nearly as nice a cut as 1/4.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Wish I could help but I know a lot more about rocket surgery and brain science than I do plasma cutting or welding.

We can agree, however, that your cut is indeed buttugly.

Try lowering the air pressure to get into the lower to middle of that recommended range and see what difference it makes? If that doesn't work, switch from Leinenkugel to Sam Adams or Yuengling?
Thanks given by:
You must have gone to the Ed school of welding and plasma cutting.

Ed
Thanks given by:
How did you know, Ed?
Thanks given by: