In the Market
I've used milling machines for years when I was working, not as a machinists but for occasionally fabricating something simple. I'm not an expert at all but know how to use one. Now that I'm retired I am getting back into some of my hobbies such as RC airplanes, gunsmith, modeling and other various things and am finding out that my drill press although is pretty good does not come close to having a mill.

So, I'm looking to buy a mill for somewhere $2k or less for doing small but accurate work. I've looked online and found a few in my price range but have no idea what is good or bad or what to look for.

I would appreciate some advice on what I should be looking for

Thanks
Thanks given by:
My suggestion would be to look at the RF-45 and clones. They're probably the best mill that fits within your price limit. Smiley-gen163

Ed
Thanks given by:
Have  look at 'Benchtop Milling Machines', see if anything takes your fancy.
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(06-03-2015, 05:18 PM)Thumb Wrote: I've used milling machines for years when I was working, not as a machinists but for occasionally fabricating something simple. I'm not an expert at all but know how to use one. Now that I'm retired I am getting back into some of my hobbies such as RC airplanes, gunsmith, modeling and other various things and am finding out that my drill press although is pretty good does not come close to having a mill.

So, I'm looking to buy a mill for somewhere $2k or less for doing small but accurate work. I've looked online and found a few in my price range but have no idea what is good or bad or what to look for.

I would appreciate some advice on what I should be looking for

Thanks

Thumb

they still building the flying cranes up there where your at?

hit Portland, there's enough industry there they should have a used Bridgeport for sell somewhere. if you've ran them for very long you should know what to look out for in buying a used one.

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Welcome, Thumb!

There's a lot of options out there. Much depends upon budget of course, but also how much room you have, the range of workpiece sizes you may handle and most importantly how much you've put aside to tool it up. It's not unusual to spend 2 to 4 times the purchase price of the machine in adding the cutting tools, measuring tools, work holding and more. Basic vise, collet set and a few cutting tools are needed right up front, most other stuff added as needed.

I'd always be the type to prefer a decent used Bridgeport or Taiwanese Bridgeport clone over a new but less rigid Asian import of 3/4 size. I've seen enough people upgrade from the latter to the former and my own experience is a good teacher. What to watch out for, simply, is worn out machines. Those are discovered when you have the table in the middle of the travels (both X and Y) and tug on the longer X axis handle. A lot of backlash (more than a 3rd of a turn, perhaps) in the screws at those points is another red flag. Testing a machine under power is ideal so you can run through the speeds, forward and reverse, check power feed on the quill and table (if any.) If it sounds like crap it probably is crap.

That said, the most skilled machinist can make awesome parts on a clapped out POS machine. I still wouldn't buy one. What are you finding appeals to you so far?
Thanks given by:
Well, I've seen some of the ones at Harbor Freight mini mills and even the larger one at $1899, the Grizzly Mini Milling Machine, and the OTMT mill Model: OT2213

Right now I'm working on AR15 lowers and using 7/16 bits as the largest and the drill press is having a hard time unless I go very very slow. So any mill that could work doing that would probably be all I would need.
Thanks given by:
Too bad you're not closer to me, there's always a good amount of decent machines available for cheap here that are far more machine than Horror Fright stuff.

http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/tls/5055530859.html
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I looked on craigslist here and only found one but it was way to big for me and $2K.
Thanks given by:
Thumb,
Is this the size you are thinking about http://www.metalworkingfun.com/showthread.php?tid=2633
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Thanks given by:
That machine might be a multiple setup challenge for an AR receiver. In fact, most machines smaller than a Bridgeport or clone might have issues with under the spindle height needed for work on the ends.
Thanks given by: