In the Market
That machine might be just what I'm looking for. I wouldn't be doing the whole machining of the lower, just the small stuff.
Thanks given by:
Thumb, lets try this... How much room do you have for a mill?
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
I have plenty of room, about a 6' x 6' space in my shop that's just sitting there waiting for something but if I can take up less space than that I'd be happy. You never know when something else needs to be had. Big Grin

I also have 220 if needed but would rather stick to 110.
Thanks given by:
A b'port or clone will live happily in 6x6.

I had an RF45 for many years. They're not horrible if you respect their limitations. I sold mine for $600 when I moved across the country.

With big tools like this, it pays dividends to decide how far you're willing to drive, and look at all the local Craig's Lists in the area. Or, use a CL aggregator such as Search Tempest.

The other thing to do is find a used machinery dealer. They occasionally know of stuff which they may not be interested in carrying, but will share a lead with you.
Thanks given by:
I'll do some checking around the nearby towns also. I'd even be willing to drive down to Silicon Valley in California since my family lives there. Just finished up a lower today using the drill press and other than my own little mistakes which won't matter it came out pretty good, just took 4 times longer.
Thanks given by:
(06-03-2015, 09:17 PM)PixMan Wrote: That machine might be a multiple setup challenge for an AR receiver. In fact, most machines smaller than a Bridgeport or clone might have issues with under the spindle height needed for work on the ends.

The RF-45 & clones have 18" under the spindle available. I would think that would be plenty. But then I don't know what's involved in building guns.

Ed
Thanks given by:
The length on a AR15 lower is about 7 1/2" so there should be no problem and most likely I would not be doing anything with the lower in the upright position.
Thanks given by:
It came today which I was surprised, I thought it was going to be like 10 weeks or more. Anyway, here is a couple pics of it right out of the crate. Now what do I do with it?  Big Grin

Thank goodness I had a forklift available because this thing weighs in at 765 lbs. , well, 25 lbs is grease that is all over it which will take me a week to clean off. I'll post more pics of it in the machinery thread once I figure out what to use for a stand and set it all up.

[Image: out-o-crate2_zpswskt6qiq.jpg]

[Image: out-o-crate1_zpsmtpms5qd.jpg]
Thanks given by:
That will keep you out of trouble for a while. Smile

Ed
Thanks given by:
Very nice Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: