Homemade Power Drawbar
Hi Mike,

I think you have an error on the drawing for the base plate. The horizontal dimension for the 3/4" drill rod guide posts is shown as 2.920" from the center-line. According to my CAD program, that would put part of the rod off of the base. Going by your grid paper, I think the correct dimension should be 2.375" from the center-line. See sketch below (click on it to enlarge it). The one on the left is with the dimension from your drawing and the one on the right is with the 2.375" dimension. Let me know if I'm missing something, which is usually the case.  Blush

Ed

Thanks given by:
Mike,

Looking at your drawing again, it's not drawn to scale on the graph paper so my guess at the 2.375" dimension in my previous post is probably off a little. But clearly the 2.920" dimension won't work. My current thought is that maybe you transposed two digits and the dimension should be 2.290". Chin

Ed
Thanks given by:
(06-30-2015, 02:28 PM)EdK Wrote: Mike,

Looking at your drawing again, it's not drawn to scale on the graph paper so my guess at the 2.375" dimension in my previous post is probably off a little. But clearly the 2.920" dimension won't work. My current thought is that maybe you transposed two digits and the dimension should be 2.290".  Chin

Ed

That is possible Ed.  It is not exactly to scale I do know that.

I will have to check my drawings and get back with you.  I may have transposed a number because I know it fits the machine. Big Grin  But my CAD program is a little less precise than yours. Slaphead

Mike.

Thanks given by:
Thanks Mike. No rush since my mill arrival date is still seven weeks away. I'm just getting prepared as much as I can prior to its arrival. I've got the pneumatic parts coming from McMaster tomorrow, other than the 'T' fittings which I forgot about.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Mike,

I took a look at your videos again and I was able to get a pretty good view of your drawing shown on the video. There are two dimensions on that drawing that are different than the drawing you posted in this thread. See sketch below. That looks better.

Ed

Thanks given by:
Mike,

When you get a chance, would you please measure the length of the guide bars on yours?

Thanks,
Ed
Thanks given by:
Will do Ed.  Been a busy past couple of days at work and my home shop.  I will try to measure those bars tonight.

As far as the dimensions on the video/thread I will double check them but I do remember changing one or two on the fly as I was machining as they didn't add up.  Remember my earlier statement about my CAD being in my head not on a PC. Rotfl

I will double check them for ya.

Mike.

Thanks given by:
(07-02-2015, 08:46 AM)zmotorsports Wrote: Will do Ed.  Been a busy past couple of days at work and my home shop.  I will try to measure those bars tonight.

As far as the dimensions on the video/thread I will double check them but I do remember changing one or two on the fly as I was machining as they didn't add up.  Remember my earlier statement about my CAD being in my head not on a PC. Rotfl

Mike.

That would be great Mike. I appreciate all of your help with this. Thumbsup

By the way, my comments about the drawing dimensions where not meant as a criticism so I hope you don't take them as such. With your help I can get some CAD drawings done that you can give to people that would like to copy your design. It's a really clean design. I'll build mine from the resulting CAD drawings to prove out the dimensions.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(07-02-2015, 08:59 AM)EdK Wrote:
(07-02-2015, 08:46 AM)zmotorsports Wrote: Will do Ed.  Been a busy past couple of days at work and my home shop.  I will try to measure those bars tonight.

Mike.

That would be great Mike. I appreciate all of your help with this.  Thumbsup

By the way, my comments about the drawing dimensions where not meant as a criticism so I hope you don't take them as such. With your help I can get some CAD drawings done that you can give to people that would like to copy your design. It's a really clean design. I'll build mine from the resulting CAD drawings to prove out the dimensions.

Ed

No problem. I am only human and have a tendency to make mistakes on occassion. But let's just keep that between us, huh. Big Grin

Mike.

Thanks given by:
(07-02-2015, 12:02 PM)zmotorsports Wrote: ....

....  I am only human and have a tendency to make mistakes on occassion.  But let's just keep that between us, huh. Big Grin

Mike.

No problem, your secret is safe with me. Big Grin

Ed
Thanks given by: