Help Southbend 14" Value
I'm looking to obtain a bigger lathe, and I just recently met a fellow that has a 14" Southbend that he "might part with", "make an offer", etc. When the Air Force originally bought it (back in the Dark Ages) they paid $54,000. It has the kind of features that I like, backgear, taper attachment, 220V, toggle, etc.

I don't want to insult him by low-balling, but capabilities are cheaper these days.

Anybody know what the market is? We're in East Texas and don't have the selection from factories like the guys in Illinois and Indiana.
Thanks given by:
more info would be helpful. Model, what comes with it, last used, can you see it run, ....
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
(06-18-2015, 05:25 PM)Vinny Wrote: more info would be helpful.  Model, what comes with it, last used, can you see it run, ....

Will he give us an address, so we can buy it out from under him??............. Popcorn

Did I say that out loud.....................
jack
Thanks given by:
guess its really going to depend on how bad he wants to get rid of it, or how bad you really want it.

without seeing it, hard to say what a person might give for it.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Ron, did you really mean $54,000 ? Jawdrop 

Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Whatever the US government paid for it has little to no bearing on current value. You and every citizen knows our government pays FAR too much for such things.

You can find relative values by searching completed listings of similar machines on eBay. Condition is probably the biggest affect on value, though features and accessories change that too. You could argue that more modern machines sport tapered roller bearing spindles instead of plain bearing, higher resultant speed ranges, better parts availability and hardened ways.

That said, anywhere from about $1500 to $2800 depending upon condition of the machine and the accessories. And yes, it's a pretty good all around lathe despite those shortcomings I mentioned.

Best of luck to you!
Thanks given by:
Unwieldy, heavy. It's probably in his way and taking up room. $1000. I saw <something> with a 3" spindle hole go for $2999 the other day.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the inputs; turns out that it's a 10" heavy duty, catalog number CL8187RB, serial 21370R,purchased in Oct 1979. Six-jaw chuck mounted, face plates in the cabinet.
Thanks given by:
OK then, probably fair at $1000 to $1400, IMO.

Offer $800 and let him bring it up if not happy?
Thanks given by: