How to lift this thing?
Now that I have my new mill in the shop and uncrated, I'm wondering how I'm suppose to lift this thing up onto my bench? Pure manpower is I think out of the question since it weighs in at 760lbs so a forklift will be used, question is how?

Anyone out there have any ideas that they can share on where on the mill I can lift it? Here's a pic of the mill just for reference to where.

[Image: out-o-crate1_zpsmtpms5qd.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I used the forklift to put mine on the bench. Fortunately I had it moved to a pallet beforehand. I lifted the pallet to bench level and walked it onto the bench. So in your case I'd think about lifting it from the bottom, walk it onto the forks then if you're going to be moving it far or it may be bounced or jerked around, strap it to the forks. A good forklift operator should be able to advise you on it.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
Will only be moving it 4' or 5' straight forward but I think I'll still strap it down. Hopefully a couple of us can slide it on and off the forks.
Thanks given by:
Hate to say I told you so, but...

"I was really looking at this one, but it cost twice as much:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-half-...33686.html

and at over 700 pounds I was worried about moving it and fitting it in my small home shop."

We actually used to move our generators that weighed approx. 650 pounds by hand onto a truck. Then again we had six young guys do it, one of whom could bench press 450.

I've used a chainfall and lifting straps to move a 400 lb machine by myself, but 700 lbs would make me leery. Perhaps you could borrow or rent a folding shop crane and buy a couple of lifting straps. For that weight I'd go with at least a one ton rating just to be safe. Just be careful that you position the straps so the load remains balanced when they are under stress. I'd also make sure that I had at least two people.

You might also want to first stress test your bench by piling at least 800 lbs on it. Better it should fail under buckets of sand or something than with your new mill.

Just some ideas of mine. I'm sure that somebody here has more experience and better suggestions.

Charles
Charles Spencer, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Aug 2014.
Thanks given by:
I'm sure the bench will hold it with no problems and I will have two other guys here with me. I do have a cherry picker that I could use but I think it's stored away way behind everything else in a 20' room.
Thanks given by:
When I had one, I wound up disassembling it -- the table, the Y-axis carriage, the base and the head are all manageable alone.
Thanks given by:
this is an old barrel jack I bought used 30 yrs ago @local auction for 50$ just right for something like that.
might be able to rent one for a hour, good for a ton, but it is not easy to roll when it has a load like that.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by:
That would be good especially for tight places. If the forklift can't do it I'll see if I can find one of those. Thanks
Thanks given by:
My local U-Haul place rents those.
Charles Spencer, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Aug 2014.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for that info!
Thanks given by: