Bench Support?
Just got my mill on the bench and although it is strong enough to hold the mill, I noticed that the center of the bench is just slightly bowed which of course makes the bench not level. Here's a couple pics showing the bench and some channel stock I have which would fit perfectly inside the bench across the center of the bench keeping the top of the bench from bowing, or.... would it be better to put a piece across the middle of the bench front to back?

[Image: bench1_zpsq7dypubh.jpg]

[Image: channel_zpsktiqpov9.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I don't think the "front to back" brace would do a lick of good to rectify the "side to middle bow" without at least a "5th leg" to the floor.
A bit late to ask now, but was the "bow" or sag of the bench there before the mill was installed?
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
I would try to get a crossmember under the middle of it, then jack it up and put additional legs front and back.
Thanks given by:
I don't think it was but then I never looked at it as close as I did after setting the mill on it. As far as putting extra legs on it, that wouldn't be a bad idea either and might be just the ticket.

Thanks for your input guys.
Thanks given by:
Hmmm...

"You might also want to first stress test your bench by piling at least 800 lbs on it. Better it should fail under buckets of sand or something than with your new mill."

"I'm sure the bench will hold it with no problems..."

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  I think Ken (PixMan) is correct.  I do notice that you appear to have a shelf under the bench.  I would clear that off and also remove everything else on the bench top so I could work freely.  

In addition to adding legs, you might drill a hole in the shelf that you can pass a piece of iron pipe through.  Once you have the bench leveled you could insert the pipe and add these to the foot and cap:

That way you could use them as a screw adjustment to fix any future settling or other deviations.  They are about $7.00 at Home Depot.

Charles
Charles Spencer, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Aug 2014.
Thanks given by:
That's another good idea Charles. Yes, the bench and the rest of the shop has to be cleaned up good because moving everything around made it a total mess. Once I get the bench squared away I'll start putting things back to where they were. I also need to figure out where to hang my 1/4 scale P-51 Mustang that I had sitting on that bench before.

[Image: nice-640_zpswkm0psod.jpg]

[Image: f18m_zpsshnohzze.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Going back and checking levels I noticed that the bench is actually level in the center but is almost a half bubble off at the right side of the mill where the red arrow is. Maybe that's where I should put the support. I can move those drawers over.

[Image: bench-sink_zpsu8i0p6mr.jpg]
Thanks given by:
don't let my younger brother see the plane, if you do be sure and give him a drool towel.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by: