Project New to me "Ferro" Bridgeport clone mill.
Thanks kingcreaky.

Getting back to the issue I had with wheels to help position the mill where I wanted it in the garage. The previous ones I made were not strong enough so I wanted to make up a set that are really robust. In my scrap box I found a set of old arbor spacers for a brake lathe that were discarded by a shop.

[Image: P5241057_zps5mxigpv5.jpg]

I machined them on the lathe to an OD of 1.975" and a width of 1.490". The center hole in them is 1" diameter.
I machined 4 axles for the rollers from 1" CRS with a 1/2" threaded stub on each end. I used my bandsaw and cut 1 side out of four 2" long pieces of 2" square tube (1/4" wall thickness). I milled a 1/2" slot in each side for the stub portion of the axle to slide into. Each stub on the axle has a 1/4" length non-threaded and a 3/4" threaded portion for the nut. I then welded a 3/4" nut to the top of each one so it can be threaded onto the height adjusters on the base of the mill. With these mounted the machine rolls quite easily and they are plenty strong enough for the weight of the machine.

[Image: P5241059_zpsejl6j4wl.jpg]

[Image: P5241060_zpsb0jccijc.jpg]

[Image: P5241056_zpsi5qatbdo.jpg]

[Image: P5241054_zpsheo9gnln.jpg]

[Image: P5241053_zpszjqtxhzk.jpg]

[Image: P7161124_zpsisurjjnq.jpg]

[Image: P7161125_zpsp7mio0wj.jpg]

I forgot to take any pictures of the wheel assemblies mounted to the mill base. The last 2 pics above show the wheel assemblies after they had been mounted on the mill base and had been on the garage floor for a couple of weeks so some rust developed on the rollers. The machine sat on the wheels for a couple of weeks while I figured out the best place for it in my garage. Then I made up 4 stainless discs to put under the threaded height adjusters for permanent placement of the machine. They are 3/4" thick and I drilled a center hole to a depth of 3/8" then machined a tapered end on each threaded adjuster rod to match the angle of the 3/4" drill bit I used to make the holes. Then I removed the wheels and put the disc pads in place and leveled the machine in it's final resting place.

[Image: P7161126_zps6vcvjhul.jpg]

Still a work in progress but I'm getting close to getting the machine set up like I want it.

John
johnncyc14, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Nov 2013.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: New to me "Ferro" Bridgeport clone mill. - by johnnyc14 - 07-16-2015, 10:14 AM