Hand Cut Gear Quadrant
This Mitre saw came in for repair, and the Quadrant gear that raises the guard during a cut had snapped.  The part is no longer avialable from the supplier.  It was made of pot metal and refused to even attempt to Weld, so I took a piece of aluminium plate from an old circ saw base and made a new one.  Cut to size on band saw and scroll saw, then hand filed the gear teeth.

Walter
starlight_tools, proud to be a member of Metalworking Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
That's a nice piece of work you did there Walter Thumbsup 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(07-04-2015, 05:32 PM)DaveH Wrote: That's a nice piece of work you did there Walter Thumbsup 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH

Thanks Dave

It was either find a way to make the gear, or condem the saw.

Fortunately, one of my gifts, is patience, as this definitely needed it!

Walter
Thanks given by:
That's a curious way to retract the guard. I'll have to go look at my sliding miter saw and see how it's done on it. Chin

Ed
Thanks given by:
(07-04-2015, 07:24 PM)EdK Wrote: That's a curious way to retract the guard. I'll have to go look at my sliding miter saw and see how it's done on it.  Chin

Ed

Ed

This is the only mitre saw that O have seen with this type of mechanism, most are a slide with a bushing or bearing acting as a cam follower.

Walter
Thanks given by: EdK
Nice repair, as you say patience needed :)

( That would have been able to be hard soldered with Lumiweld)
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by:
That's a really great save. I can only wonder how long it can last but not because you didn't do a high quality job, rather the poor design. It seems crazy to have that kind of mechanism out in the "cutting zone", and I've never seen another saw doing it that way.
Thanks given by:
(07-05-2015, 08:46 AM)PixMan Wrote: That's a really great save. I can only wonder how long it can last but not because you didn't do a high quality job, rather the poor design. It seems crazy to have that kind of mechanism out in the "cutting zone", and I've never seen another saw doing it that way.

Ken

I think it may last not bad, I used a better grade of metal, the sheet aluminium that they make saw bases from, and eliminated a gentle S bend in the design, so that I could keep the metal straight.

Walter
Thanks given by:
Nice work!
Thanks given by: