Cantek 1440, Birmingham, Wilton CT 1440, and others Rebuild
You might also try Boston Gear, it's a long shot but worth a call.
Thanks given by:
this is the number that I used to order the gear with the last time I ordered one

P9249303

can't say that they will have one, the last time I tried to order one they were backordered and 8 months later when the canoe came in they wanted like 80 dollars for it, so I choked up and made one because I just happened to have an involute gear cutter that matched the pitch of the one I needed.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Thanks dallen. What is the model of lathe at grizzly that the number pertains too?
Mark
Thanks given by:
the part number is off of a 12X36 belt driven lathe, but I haven't been able to track down the manual that I found the number in.

you should be able to call Grizzly and give them that number and find out if they have a gear in stock.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
These links might help.

https://www.grizzly.com/parts/P9249303
https://www.grizzly.com/products/g9249/parts

Ed
Thanks given by:
Those are very helpful links Ed. Maybe I'm looking at that picture wrong but I think the gear in the picture Mark posted that is worn out is number 335 in the diagram, not the worm gear number 303. However, since those 2 gears are in mesh I think I would replace them both.
johnncyc14, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Nov 2013.
Thanks given by:
Well, I guess we will find out if they are the right parts, I ordered the worm and helical as John suggested from Ed's link. The parts look identical. (crossing fingers)
The worm gear is 15usd, but the helical brass mating gear is 68usd, so it is fairly expensive. But what can you do? Probably most folks don't have the tooling to cut that gear.

Mark
Thanks given by:
Mark, I was thinking about looking up part numbers in my manual for my  Busy Bee 12 x 36 but, with the help I've had from Busy Bee
parts wise I didn't venture any suggestions about contacting them.
I'll be following this thread to see how you make out.

Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
I got some more work done on the lathe this weekend. Mainly the threading box and some shafts. Three new ball bearings will be needed.

[Image: threadBox.jpg?dl=0][Image: shafts.jpg?dl=0]

I also did some measurements for the cross slide leadscrew, and found an issue I wanted to correct with the help of Edk (blueprints) and PixMan (leadscrew machining). The exploded view (courtesy of Johnnyc14) shows the position of the feedgear to be teeth toward thrust bearing:

[Image: explodedViewPosition.jpg?dl=0]

Which gives a mesh like this:
(this view is looking up through the apron to the topmost gear)

[Image: explodedViewMesh.jpg?dl=0]

If the gear is in the position I received it in, the mesh is like this:

[Image: actualMesh.jpg?dl=0]

Which isn't that bad except that the gear shoulder contacts about .030" of the thrust bearing:

[Image: thrustSurface.jpg?dl=0]

So, I think I will put a spacer here:

[Image: spacerPosition.jpg?dl=0]

And reverse the gear to match the exploded view position. Also move the position of the new leadscrew shoulder to back up the drive gear, so the only force going through the roll pin will be turning, instead of push/pull and turning. I guess its back to the garage for me...
Thanks given by:
These pictures show how the gear on mine is attached.

Ed

Thanks given by: