Cantek 1440, Birmingham, Wilton CT 1440, and others Rebuild
(07-21-2015, 06:04 AM)turbo711 Wrote: Hello Johnnyc14. I priced it out regular post and it seems to be around $18 each way to send the quill.

If you would like to send it to me shoot me PM and i'll give you my mailing address.
John
johnncyc14, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Nov 2013.
Thanks given by:
Well I had visions of turning the CT1440G motor armature with the Standard Modern 1230, but before I could, I had to attach the motor back on and deal with the wiring that turned out to be not as bad as anticipated. I also had to refill the oil of which a good portion leaked out during the move up the stairs from the sellers basement. I thought I might as well take a peek inside:

[Image: SMgearbox.jpg?dl=0]

And I was greeted by this on the end of the spindle shaft:

[Image: SMbearing.jpg?dl=0]

So I put a new bearing in and also took the carriage apart to look inside the apron. After draining the oil and cleaning out the black sludge from the bottom, new oil was put in and the whole thing was bolted back together. This took awhile. I had to straighten a bent tool slide leadscrew as well. Anyway, I dug out the tool holder and I went to put it on, but I think there is a shouldered sleeve missing or something. Can anyone enlighten me to the proper mounting gear this Dickson supposed to have?

[Image: Dickson.jpg?dl=0][Image: DicksonTop.jpg?dl=0][Image: DicksonBase.jpg?dl=0]

I guess it would work, but it will slop around and irritate me. This whole thing is sidetracking me from the rebuild!
That's all for now. The weekend is over already and back to work tomorrow. Slaphead

Mark
Thanks given by:
Wow, that thing is a mess. Good thing you didn't power it up with that bearing.
Thanks given by:
I think the only option is to turn up a sleeve to take up the "space". I wouldn't use it as is. To me that is just asking for trouble. The correct size stud would be way (way) too big for the slot / t-nut, which is why the previous owner did a half-arse job.

In fact, that QCTP may be too much for that lathe and a smaller (AXA or BXA) might be a better option.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
I have to agree with Darren, that whole toolpost appears oversized to the lathe and I'm surprised it can get tools dropped to the centerline.

You could probably find a buyer for a really good price and get into a more appropriate AXA style. The Dickson holders are far more work to make and harder to find so anyone with that system already on their lathe may be willing to pay for the whole kit just to get the holders you have.

Good catch on that spindle bearing. Running it like that could have had disastrous consequences.
Thanks given by:
Mark, if you really want to (or have to) keep the Dickson, and you can actually centre your cutting tools you might think of machining a new "stud" with reduced dia. for the end thread (s).

Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Hey Mark, if you want a sleeve/spacer you probably can't make one yourself with both of your lathes out of commission. If you send me the dimensions I can make one for you today and get it in the mail. You should have it in a few days.
johnncyc14, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Nov 2013.
Thanks given by:
Ooops! I forgot that the Standard Modern is out of commission too. Blush

Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the offer again Johnnyc14. I think I will try to turn this one myself with the toolpost like it is. I also need to make a new top washer for it with a smaller hole. If I tighten it down real good and make small passes, it should be okay. I have to do some machining sometime instead of getting you guys to do everything!

I know it looks over sized, but if I only mount one holder it doesn't look too bad. I also might swap it over to the CT1440G later, I don't know yet. I think there are 3 more holders including a parting tool holder as well. I kinda want to keep it. It looks mean Big Grin .

Mark
Thanks given by:
Thats a stout looking tool holder, I'd keep it too, if nothing else for the wow factor.
What clamps the holders?
Could you get a pre made bronze bushing to temporarily fill the gap on the stud
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: