Cantek 1440, Birmingham, Wilton CT 1440, and others Rebuild
Well I had a chance to do some more on the lathe. This time, the tailstock. I would consider it's condition to be bad. This must be one of those models that has a tailstock/anvil option where you can drill/center parts, but also hammer out a horseshoe on it if you need to...

[Image: tailstock.jpg?dl=0]

There are cracks on both sides where the side adjustment bolts are as well as the center of the back. I ordered a product called EZ weld tig wire, specifically designed to weld cast iron. I thought I would start at the back because it is easily accessible.

[Image: rearCrack.jpg?dl=0]
[Image: diamondDisc.jpg?dl=0]

The only thing that worked well is this diamond grinding/cutoff disk from banggood. Cheap and good; rare these days. Anyway, I "welded" the crack from both sides and also welded some parts on the forward/off/reverse lever to tighten it up a bit

[Image: PrettyOnTheOutside.jpg?dl=0]

See how pretty it looks. Now grind it. Mr. Tig doesn't show you that part...

[Image: SwitchLeverAssyGround.jpg?dl=0]
[Image: GroundSponge.jpg?dl=0]

In the case of the switch casting, I think it will be okay, and the holes will hold more oil!
But, I think I will leave the bolt hole cracks alone, because it is a difficult area and the "welds" are sponge toffee.

[Image: CrackedCenteringHoles.jpg?dl=0]

Here is a way to remove those little hammer rivets:

[Image: LabelPinRemovalMethod.jpg?dl=0]
[Image: LabelPin.jpg?dl=0]

And the same method for a broken stop pin:

[Image: brokenLockStopPin.jpg?dl=0]
[Image: boltRemoval.jpg?dl=0]
[Image: newStop.jpg?dl=0]

And here are some more issues with the anvil...
A worn quill slide...

[Image: quillSlide.jpg?dl=0]
[Image: WornQuillSlidePin.jpg?dl=0]

Welded lever...

[Image: tailStockLock.jpg?dl=0]

This won't affect operation, but look at the quality of the cam casting...

[Image: poorCamCasting.jpg?dl=0]

There is also a missing gib although I think it is just square stock instead of tapered in this case. I would say the tailstock is in poor condition to say the least, but due to the costs adding up, I will not be replacing it.

I also worked on the headstock. But before I did, I had to contend with the Medusa...

[Image: wiring.jpg?dl=0]

Which isn't as bad as it looks. I think only the 3 contactors will need to be replaced. The transformer, thermal overload relay, and all the fuse blocks look okay. The insulating base plate and box are a different story.

Here are some pics.

[Image: front.jpg?dl=0]
[Image: pulleySide.jpg?dl=0]

Production shortcut (not machining middle holes in lid).

[Image: production%20Shortcut.jpg?dl=0]

And the bad news is the gears that the speed (1350rpm) was left on for 16 years are chewed.

[Image: chewedGears.jpg?dl=0]

Everything else seems to be okay including the spindle and bearings.

[Image: spindleBearing.jpg?dl=0]

Now I have to locate contactors and gears. I could throw it back together and listen to the humming, or choose a different speed, but it would always be a splinter in my mind driving me mad...
That's all for now.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cantek 1440, Birmingham, Wilton CT 1440, and others Rebuild - by turbo711 - 07-17-2015, 07:27 AM