Cantek 1440, Birmingham, Wilton CT 1440, and others Rebuild
Well after realizing I need to gears for the headstock, I checked Grizzly again, and I can't get them there. This prompted me to go on another search, that led me to Ackhurst in Delta, BC. This is a Cantek dealer that deals with mainly wood machines, but also some metal machines as well. A gentleman named Fred was very helpful and priced out the gears for me. This led me to rethink my order from Grizzly where I wasn't 100% of the part fitment, so I called and cancelled that order. I then added the parts to the Ackhurst order. It should take around 3-3 weeks to arrive.

On another note, I thought I would change the bearings on the motor, because the rotation was a little rough. So I pulled it apart:

[Image: dirtyMotor.jpg?dl=0]

There is a rivet missing on the centrifugal start...

[Image: centifugal.jpg?dl=0]

But the biggest issue, was that the pulley was not concentric (probably out 1/4"), even though the shaft appears to be reasonably so. This would cause a vibration that would never go away. I decided to remove it, but it was easier said than done. Another roll pin that I don't even know how they installed. I ended up cutting off the pulley and the shaft underneath appears like a different pulley was installed at some point. I'll have to think about this one a bit. Maybe weld the hole and turn down the shaft again.

[Image: pulleyShaft.jpg?dl=0]

The windings after cleaning as best I could:

[Image: windingsAfterCleaning.jpg?dl=0]

I can possibly use this, after I figure out how to wire it and contend with a bent toolpost slide screw. I picked this up from kijiji for $500 with a lot of tooling, but the bed ways are worn. This is the size of lathe I really wanted, but I couldn't pass up the $160 for the CT-1440. I like the old school cabinet.

[Image: standardModern.jpg?dl=0]

I bound to get some lathe working here, sooner or later Big Grin .
That's all for now,

Take Care
Mark
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cantek 1440, Birmingham, Wilton CT 1440, and others Rebuild - by turbo711 - 07-21-2015, 11:14 AM