Cantek 1440, Birmingham, Wilton CT 1440, and others Rebuild
Hello folks. I posted new stuff on here a short while ago, but there were some site issues, so I'll re-post them. Thanks to the mods for the the time they put in. This also gave me time to think that maybe this was becoming a run on thread with too many things going on at once, so I will try to keep to the ct-1440 lathe. I decided that the motor shaft was unacceptable in it's current state. I tig welded it to fill the hole and build up the surface.

[Image: weldShaft.jpg?dl=0]

After about 3.5 hours of trying to get the armature spinning true between centers, with many weld/center drill cycles, I gave up and decided to make a steady rest to help me with the job. See here: Center Rest.

[Image: trueCenterDrillFail.jpg?dl=0]

This worked much better.

[Image: turnShaft.jpg?dl=0]

It's a little out of focus, but you get the idea. Also metal shavings like to get in the bearing wheels even when you are trying to keep them out. The shaper was used again to cut the slot for a 3/16" key-way very slowly. Still chattering!

[Image: slotShaft.jpg?dl=0]

The finished shaft. It's not perfect, but is a considerable upgrade to what was existing before.

[Image: keyedShaft.jpg?dl=0]

Just got to make a pulley...
That's it for now.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cantek 1440, Birmingham, Wilton CT 1440, and others Rebuild - by turbo711 - 04-03-2016, 03:14 PM