10 inch Lathes**** Oldies but goodies*** need your opinions ASAP
Star 
Well because of one of the brothers on the forums gave me a heads up i decided to check out a machine Co not to far from My area Appox 1-1/2 Hr drive .. cooks in South Jersey .. Spoke with tom the owner about 1 hr ago .. We originally spoke for 3 min with him hanging up come down... That didnt go to well with Kenny v,.,...... guess he didnt like the chat much only asking bout the machine... .. Something told me call back.... Here is some info other than what listing says Please have a look

Logan 11"x36 called Guy says its a 10x24 $850
came out of basement guy died its apart only to get out of basement and to ship . Says runs good However he dont put machines in gears ... and he,s not a machinist so i can only go so far with details. says ways good and head is tight .As you see dud 3 jaw chuck and w/ no accessories $850

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lathe-Logan-11-x...1794743771

tell me little bout this ?

Next i getting more excited Clausing Model 4901 10"x36"

now that listing does seem to look accurate
Guy says they bought out a compete shop buyout
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lathe-10-x36-Cla...1794743775

Flame hardened ways 5C collet and a maybe a dud chuck/w/ faceplate
says he checks ways and head play
No tooling .....1K takes her home

any comments?

And save best for last Now i dunno why but im gettin a whet spot .. maybe i have a things with Southbends( my first love ) Taught myself the lathe on On lil south bend . Anyways keep me focused Bc for some reason i think this is a god deal correct me if im wrong please.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lathe-10-South-B...1791054912

South Bend 10" Heavy Duty Lathe

I believe its a 10x24 Tom says came from a fortune 500 Co.
We both suspectct Prob late 60< early 70's

Listing says
The famous "Heavy 10"
Model CL 187A
Flame Hardened Ways
Serial #13832 RKX16
3 & 4 Jaw Chucks
2 1/4" x 8 Spindle thread
5C Collet Setup
Aloris Quick-Change tool post
Steady Rest

says he checks ways and head play Says its quiet However i asked and he did not put in gear
he said he has a little room on sale... And would throw in some tool holders and 5C collets
Comments welcome?????????
does anyone see any reason why i should not go buy this on Saturday? thanks you so Much
Kenny V
Thanks given by:
The Logan looks like the best deal. Remember, all parts and manuals are available from Logan Actuator. There's a group on yahoo for Logan Lathes (two actually, but I'm referring to the LL group) that Scott Logan (grandson of the founder) runs and answers questions. As far as assembly goes, it looks like it's just the motor mount that's off of it. Putting it back on consists of two pins and putting the leg on (one end fits in a hole).
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
Almost forgot. Check out http://www.lathe.com/ for more info and the Logan store.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
Thanks given by:
If it were me I'd jump on the Clausing because it's got the hardened ways and is complete; some assembly not required. The Logan seems to need a LOT of reassembly and it's inevitable that some pieces will be missing. The South Bend is just too much money for what it is.
Thanks given by:
Besides the motor, what do you see that needs reassembly on the Logan? If you look at the Logan FAQ on moving a lathe, they tell you to take the motor off.
Thanks given by:
in short

Logan was disassembled to get out of basement and put on pallet a believe 3/4 Hp motor all parts are there . I was told guy passed away than the son sold it
does anyone see collet spindle shaft in pics ?

The clausing has no tools but what ya see
yes it has hardened ways and so does the SB

The SB as u see is fully loaded and yes its the its the HD Model Flame Hardened Ways

3-4 jaw Chk prob get for $2200 fully loaded tooling an all Tool holders and collets......... what else is needed.? a faceplate No? . will this machine perform if its tight?

the only thing I noticed was is the Steady rest don't look original other than that looks ok to me after I ride er ill be able to tell better ...... I did notice that the feed engage is a lever rather than knob .. I dunno looked like a good model for its days ..

Now the clausing Looks More like a power hourse I have no idea what it is powered by ?? anyone ? Now if the guys got a good price on the extra tooling it needs than sure a deals a deal .. but I don't feel like spending 1500 for tooling and chasing parts all over the placeI was gona buy New so I want a package deal and seal the deal in one day

Oh I do see the logan as cute .. some reason that's all I see it as is cheap not bad price but don't know much about em that's why im askin
Now I get to get home burn some candles over there TTL
keep convo going .. love to hear yure thoughts
Thanks given by:
(07-16-2015, 07:19 PM)Kennyv Wrote: in short

Logan was disassembled to get out of basement and put on pallet a believe 3/4 Hp motor  all parts are there . I was told guy passed away than the son sold it  
does anyone see collet spindle  shaft in pics  ?

Yes, it's resting on the gray tub. Silverish wheel with the black shaft attached to it. The shaft is what's resting on the tub.
Thanks given by:
Clausing no longer has the collet closer according to the eBay description - he has sold this separately.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/tls/5104380288.html

This one is few miles away maybe 9"? what size ya think it is ?

No collets no FP no 4 jaw ....... I duuno I just want a good workin lathe w/ some extras that I can actually do something with wouldn't it have to be 10" or better ?
Thanks given by:
Without seeing it up close or even knowing anything about them, the Clausing. I have a Logan with its special and expensive spindle bearings and a South Bend that seems to have been put together in a big hurry. So I'd look at the Clausing. Steel cabinets are a plus too.

Logans preferred over South Bends in my book. What I look for in a lathe is the spindle hole. My Logan is 1-3/8" and too small. The old South Bend is 7/8" and that's way too small.

A 2"+ spindle hole would be good.

Wish he'd get that Clausing off of the pallet before it falls over.
Thanks given by: