10 inch Lathes**** Oldies but goodies*** need your opinions ASAP
Trying to get $1000 for a $50 lathe.. That's a good 'un.
Thanks given by:
Just like to thank all u guys taking the time to remind me what to look for  and  for putting up with me .. still some what concerned but have a good feeling bout this one.

goin to take a day off picked up a trailer tonight goin to go check out the SB10x24 HD first thing tomorrow . If its tight hey maybe be mines to keep . Exiting day ahead of me haven't felt this excited last fishin trip

However  I would still like to know difference between  main bearings  and  Thrust bearings if this lathe in fact has both?
and If its a big deal to change esp if everything else is tight ?

Sorry I don't want to let this go and need to know before I go diving in... Tomorrow is a good day .. thanks again
Thanks given by:
if it has tapered roller bearings it does both.

Anthony.
ieezitin, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
(07-19-2015, 07:31 PM)ieezitin Wrote: if it has tapered roller bearings it does both.

Anthony.
goin down to check out machine ship out 1/2 hr all eqiupt in what I bringing .. anyways that Model the heavy 10 SB does not have rollers see here for FYI and history grat resource for all kinds of machines

South Bend (Heavy) 10-inch Lathe
http://www.lathes.co.uk/southbend/page4.html

scroll down on page shows ty of bearings used in that Model

wish me luck guys ... Im goin to meet an ole friend today Thumbsup
Thanks given by:
Ken, I'm sorry to be a pain in the a$$ But I have no idea what  

"goin down to check out machine ship out 1/2 hr all eqiupt in what I bringing .. anyways
that Model the heavy 10 SB does not have rollers see here for FYI and history grat resource for all kinds of machines"  

means, could you possibly "splain"  better? Blush
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(07-20-2015, 01:37 PM)stevec Wrote: Ken, I'm sorry to be a pain in the a$$ But I have no idea what  

"goin down to check out machine ship out 1/2 hr all eqiupt in what I bringing .. anyways
that Model the heavy 10 SB does not have rollers see here for FYI and history grat resource for all kinds of machines"  

means, could you possibly "splain"  better? Blush
The essential headstock bearing adjustment shim
found here
http://www.lathes.co.uk/southbend/page4.html

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Long day  got off to late start but now im kicking back w/ a cold one . Shes home in her place .   Yup"
South Bend 10"  Heavy tool room Lathe   

thanks for your input .'Bill of sale .. done deal  here's a few pics to prove...lol......, .should of brought cash tho    o well ........

few  Bullet points.

Runs like a champ ... ways in good shape,  headstock , motor pulleys gears  feeds gear box, gears , gibs   all remarkable  ,  Ran dead  nuts  with collets .. i say Tits  less than .0005 . Motor is smoothe and all engagements , free spinning spindle  back gear all check out good too.  Spindle bearings were  in great shape . with the fulcrum test she was .004 tir  when I first checked her . Than I overhauled whole machine again than went to town checkin everything .  Had  to stand on top of my toolbox as they were unloading trucks with forklifts less than 10 "  behind .. was 90 deg today ..  fun day  I must say I count see  must of loss 5 pounds ... but it was all worth it. Kinda on your own over there ...took a short break ( 2 min)  looked at other machines  that were same size  than came back to check out the rest ...  asked permission to take apart spindle bearings ,  did a readjust got er less than .001 -  ( .002) TIR with the fulcrum test .....  figured  if I do right procedure I can  dial her in better so I was satisfied in what I saw. Afater words noticed down below they had all extra shims for adjustments when I got home noiced  the proper procedure under the ld of belt cover on the headstock...  

checked out  chucks   mounting dismounting ect.... dug for a few fixins  and it  was late time to wrap it up ..  Didsn't have much or any time to go shopping   had  to squabble round. Lucky I was able to get what was promised ... I wanted a few others things  but had to pack it in...   All in all . Im a happy camper  I got what I went ther for and didn't leave disappointed , Kinda choked up too  Ok I wont get sappy  on ya .

The only thing I didn't score on was AXA tool  holders  got a few  but not  what id call  big enough selection . He had a boat load of BXA,s  and im not kidden had  drums of 5c collets . that place was machinists  flea market dream .. Ok GTG  more latter
thanks again

Thanks given by:
few fixins

Thanks given by:
Well done
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Time for a "you suck"? Smile
Now that's a lathe. Nice going.
Thanks given by: