10 inch Lathes**** Oldies but goodies*** need your opinions ASAP
Lookin good Kenny!!
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
THANKS  guys thanks  Vinny
been busy up  till 3 am last 2 days .... Im sorry didn't buy the Logan did have a look tho . in the 2 min I looked  was impressed with  head and gear box .  Very simple, rigid good design in my book... never looked at logans ..I like em ,,,  ...  Hmm wasn't is heavy as the 10 SB tho ... Good price and all I had to do was put together and check  However had my eye on SB  ill share latter ..  for now id say  sorry Bloke u seem like a ford guy  would bought the str6 F100 . Im a Chevy guy ..  I Got the  Chevy  step side  Str-6 250Ci with the wooden bed I
Always wanted .  Dint have time to fart around with Carbs and clutches that day  ya know .
Hey see the gear box on the SB Heavy ?  LAST night put a few hours in her oilen her/ cleaning  up dialing in..  I must say  the only thing that sweaks is the Tightness of  Main drive belt .LOlllllllllll. This kitten purs even with the gears and lead screw all reved up.  No Foolin!!!! My Buddies Tough yet runs like a doll ... "tits" man ...  the only part that I see I may need to replace NEW  is a new brass cross feed lead screw nut .. other than that cant find any thing to replace .  and the only thing I did not look at examine  is engagement mech the lever is a cam it seems like its light.. I dunno if that can be adjusted and haven't dug further anyone know how she engages and what to look for adjust ? again she goes in SMOOTHE but feels like she can be adjusted or something.  Been long time sinse I fixed adjusted ripped apart one so forgot how she engages  anyone ?

Can I say  machine is sweet . Im gona smoothe out the travels cross feed/ compound / tail stock...  and be  sure ill have a nice ride no? I can do that by hand No?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
It looks like there's a lever where the star wheel usually goes. Some sort of conversion? I'd like to have that on my SB too, don't care for the star much. Oily hands and all.
Thanks given by:
(07-22-2015, 09:56 PM)Sunset Machine Wrote: It looks like there's a lever where the star wheel usually goes. Some sort of conversion? I'd like to have that on my SB too, don't care for the star much. Oily hands and all.

that would be on the older models ... I guessing but I belive different type of engagedment too . We have an ole 13" south bend at work with the star knob a bit scary when it doesn't disengage .. I believe that's why it was improved to the lever . Not sure exactly what years they changed it but my guess would be late 50's early 6o's.

what year is your lathe and what model ?
Thanks given by:
I don't know the model, but mine's an 11" SB from 1932.  $100 dumpster lathe.

Thanks given by:
looks like a fine machine to me an it cuts chips , price was right tooo... So Hows she treating you?
Btw you do have to get in the gear box and change back for fine feed change back for threading no?
and have ya found a happy med where ya leave it ?
Thanks given by:
It's called a "quick change" gearbox for a reason. Badda bum, it's done.  Not like the 9" you were looking at, the one with changegears.

I had to replace the chuck, halfnut, fix a leg, fix two back gears, repair the compound, snug up the spindle and align it. The lathe was in the dumpster for a reason but it all came out pretty good. It has a more solid feel than my Logan on heavy cuts, but the Logan goes heavier before the belt slips. Only real complaint is that it's too short for me, the Logan is at a more comfortable height.

Some more before and after pics...

Thanks given by:
That's a truly professional fix to the compound. How did you do it? I don't see the usual bolted-on bars of steel.
Thanks given by:
(07-24-2015, 09:22 AM)Sunset Machine Wrote: Only real complaint is that it's too short for me, the Logan is at a more comfortable height.

I know what you mean, I hate bending over to work on the lathe. It wouldn't be very long before I'd get it jacked up on something to save my back.
My back hurts just watching John (doubleboost) at his lathe.

Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(07-25-2015, 08:27 AM)PixMan Wrote: That's a truly professional fix to the compound. How did you do it? I don't see the usual bolted-on bars of steel.

Well, thank you. I've used the same method to repair broken handles too.

They are indeed bolted on plates. Look real close at the pic and you'll see 4 circles on the top face, one in each corner. Each one is similar to a bolt, with a shoulder that bridges both the compound and the new plate like a locating pin. The "head" is a really tight fit, like an inlay. Cut long, tightened with pliers and then hacksawed off flush, finished with a flycutter.
Thanks given by: